• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need to add weight to an old doe...

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
I just adopted an old breeding doe from someone and she's worn out. She's skin and bones. I have her seperated so I can try to get some weight back on her. Any tips? Here's her picture. Her name is Daisy.

PICT0006.jpg

I took a rescue boy and girl in last year, both underweight. I gave them extra pellets and some bunny treats and lots of good quality hay and loads of veg/fruit. Maybe not the ideal way but it worked for my 2 who are now spot on weight wise

Thanks! That's what I was going to do, but didn't know if there was a supliment I could give her. She gets all the veggie scraps from the garden too. Got a large cucumber as a welcome to your new home treat! She loved it!!

Banana and porridge are great but maybe shes just had a rubbish feed and diet.Improve that all round,plenty of it, and if no weight gain, then add in the extras.A vet check too maybe...dear girlie.

Banana and porridge are great but maybe shes just had a rubbish feed and diet.Improve that all round,plenty of it, and if no weight gain, then add in the extras.A vet check too maybe...dear girlie.

The reason she's underweight is cause she was over bred. She had 14 last time and was just weaned from them. She's the sweetest little thing ever.

The reason she's underweight is cause she was over bred. She had 14 last time and was just weaned from them. She's the sweetest little thing ever.

If shes just been weaned off all those babies she will be thin as theyve been extracting all from her.A good diet for her and her alone will boost her up within a few weeks.......

You could try some porridge. Mix the oats with boiling water and let it cool down, try different textures to see if she likes it. I gave 1.5 teaspoons/day.

You could also maybe give her a bit of Oxbow critical care as a supplement as it has lots of nutrients in.

There aren't really any rabbit savy vets around here. She's doing better already. She came up to the door when I came up to feed her this morning. She loves cucumbers.

Poor soul, she looks so thin :( I agree with Yvette and Bunny Babe that porridge can be very helpful. Hopefully her little body is just knackered from the kittens and now that she's not a mum she'll put on weight quickly.

I would watch with the cucumber though - it has a great water content but very little nutrient and can cause diarrhoea in some buns, which really wuldn't be good for her health. As her weight is so low I would encourage her to eat more nutrient rich veg, so dark, leafy greens, and save the cucumber for treats. :)

She is a lovely little thing, pretty markings. Hopefully she'll put on weight soon.

We have some over grown lettuce in the garden and zuccini tips left over when i make bread. I've been giving her most of the veggie scraps. Haven't gone out there this morning yet, but I think it was the kits that wore her out. The lady said she was huge before and they drained her.

We have some over grown lettuce in the garden and zuccini tips left over when i make bread. I've been giving her most of the veggie scraps. Haven't gone out there this morning yet, but I think it was the kits that wore her out. The lady said she was huge before and they drained her.

What kind of lettuce? Buns shouldn't have iceberg lettuce as it can make them gassy and cause diarrhoea. This is a great list of veggies they can have http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

What kind of lettuce? Buns shouldn't have iceberg lettuce as it can make them gassy and cause diarrhoea. This is a great list of veggies they can have http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

Not sure the exact type of lettuce, but i know its not iceberg. It was a mix of seed. Somes purple, somes dark green, some light green, ferny type. There is a lot out there. If its not good for the rabbits we'll just give it to the pigs.

Not sure the exact type of lettuce, but i know its not iceberg. It was a mix of seed. Somes purple, somes dark green, some light green, ferny type. There is a lot out there. If its not good for the rabbits we'll just give it to the pigs.

Sounds good :) I know buns can have the purple and the dark lettuces :)

Can't offer any advice but think you have done a great job rescuing her and giving her some love and lots of food :)

Hope she gets better soon.

Back