• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New members of our colony!!

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
A woman in a town near by just gave me 8 new rabbits! Most of them are outside and doing great in the colony. They've met all the other rabbits are are getting along great. I was kinda worried about our old buck and the new one, but they're doing great. We put the old doe in with the weaned young rabbits and the tiny baby in the house till he's big enough to go out to the weaning pen. There are 6 does, one buck and the baby. I think they need names now...

Baby
PICT0010-1.jpg

Buck
PICT0005.jpg

Old Doe
PICT0006.jpg

Does
PICT0002.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

Wow, that's awesome you have a colony! I hope to have one some day :) How many are in your colony now? Are they all neutered/spayed or do they just get along without being neutered?

Also, in the last photo, is that a San Juan rabbit (a breed purposefully bred to look similar to cottontails)?

Wow, that's awesome you have a colony! I hope to have one some day :) How many are in your colony now? Are they all neutered/spayed or do they just get along without being neutered?

Also, in the last photo, is that a San Juan rabbit (a breed purposefully bred to look similar to cottontails)?

I am not sure the breed of the two females that look like cottontails. They are considerably bigger than cottontails though. The guy just wanted rid of them.

None are neutered, but they get along fine. We also have a nest with 6 little ones.

Yea, that's the point. It's a breeding colony.

Oh i see, so you are a back yard breeder then?
how do propose your going to keep all of them vaccinated and kept from being eaten by predators?
and why are you breeding rabbits you know nothing about the genetic background of, not even the breed of them.
:shock::shock::shock:

And it's building again... Go read my old posts if you don't know why I breed rabbits... I don't want to get into it again.

Meat rabbits. Just read the post..
Even so surely you'd want to know about the genetic background of the animals before eating them?
How are you euthanising them out of curiosity ?

Meat rabbits. Just read the post..
Even so surely you'd want to know about the genetic background of the animals before eating them?
How are you euthanising them out of curiosity ?

They're meat breeds. Most of them are crosses. We're more worried about what they eat and to make sure they don't get into chemicals and things really.

When we are ready to do them we'll more than likely broomstick them. I've watched videos and it seems the most humane and quickest way.

They're meat breeds. Most of them are crosses. We're more worried about what they eat and to make sure they don't get into chemicals and things really.

When we are ready to do them we'll more than likely broomstick them. I've watched videos and it seems the most humane and quickest way.

Oh my god thats disgusting

How so? How's it any different than pigs or goats or cattle or chickens?

I mean the way you are killing them but just for the record I don't eat any form of meat anyway and as sparklefairy says this is a rescue forum, not a breeders site and cetainly not a meat factory forum.

I've been a member of this site for months now. I joined cause I wanted to make my rabbits lives better. Isn't that the point of this site?

I mean the way you are killing them but just for the record I don't eat any form of meat anyway

It's better than some ways I've seen. Others shoot them, or cut their heads off while they're still alive. At least I'm being humane.

I'm not going to reply to any more posts on opinions of eating meat or not. I posted these pictures to show my new rabbits and how well they're doing. If you all can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

Back