• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do your bunnies sleep if in a shed

Andie17

Warren Scout
Still pondering what to do for a bed area for cinders and pc. They live in the shed and currently have a dog bed filled with hay but to be honest they use it as a litter tray..... Not a prob as they are well litter trained now. Wondering about when the weather gets colder....... I have a couple of snuggle safe but feel I need to provide a "bedroom" ..... any ideas? do I buy a hutch and take doors off so I can pack it with hay or fleece blankets or a little "house" and is hay warmer than fleece ??? would appreciate some advice:wave:
Thanks
Andie

My bunnies' hutch is in the shed, so they sleep in there. In fact, the shed is not "theirs" as such in that they aren't let loose unsupervised in it as there are plant pots and stuff in there (nothing dangerous but I'd hate for them to wriggle into a corner and get stuck!) I do intend this year on getting the stuff out of the shed so that when the weather's bad like today, they can hop in and out of their hutch and nosey round the shed to their heart's content, but stay dry and fairly cosy.

On their shelf
DSCN0087.jpg

dog bed with a dog mat in she lays in it sometimes to sleep if not she sleeps in her litter tray that she doesnt wee or poo in :lol:

Poppy sleeps under her shelf, shes made a kind of den. Its got a bed, blankets etc under there. It kept her nice and warm int he winter though:D

mitzieandrooney030.jpg
mitzieandrooney024.jpg

I have a hutch across the back of the shed. I took the wire door off but kept the side with the wood door on. I fill that half with straw and in winter I put a box in that half with straw round it as well as in it with holes cut in.

Biggest problem i have is one of my cats thinks shes a rabbit so every night when I do bedtime I have to turf the cat out before the rabbits will go in!:evil:

In the hutch in the shed.....but the door to the hutch is open daytime but shut at night.

I did have a cardboard box inside another cardboard box and wrapped in blankets, it stayed quite warm through winter, especially with them inside as it's a smaller space for them to heat up and keep warm.

I've just bought a new carrier for them which will hopefully take the place of the cardboard boxes (which get trashed every week or so), but I'm not convinced it's big enough so may end up building an insulated box out of wood.

I had the same problem as you with hay, just turned in to a toilet!

Mine always sleep on their shelf in either the plastic dog bed or the litter tray, both stuffed with hay.

Covered cat litter tray! They have litter trays which they sit and munch and poop in, but I've got a covered tray stuffed with straw and hay and they snuggle in there when it's cold. I've got the entrance hole pointed away from the shed door and it seems to keep it free from draughts and nice and snuggly.

I've got nic cages up the walls to add space. They gave blankets and towels on, there's also a pet carrier. They pretty much sleep there

For my pair, they sleep on top of a haybale and sometimes they will sleep in one of the cat beds but very rarely.

My five sleep in their hutch in the shed (it have the wire door removed) or on top depending on the temperature.

Mine have hutch with door permanently open but they ignore it and sleep on the floor - on a pile of hay :roll:

i have a 2 tier hutch in the back of the shed which i took the doors off the bottom half and put a duvet in there but i also have a cardboard box in there stuffed with hy which they sleep in more than anything, especially if its cold and through winter i put heat pads in the box, hutch and on the floor.. 4 pads in total!

extendedrun005.jpg

My buns have a large dog crate (used to be our airedales) with their litter tray in, a blanket and then a corner with hay in where they sleep :)

I've got 3 pairs each with their own shed and they all sleep on their shelves in a box full of hay. They obviously prefer to get off the floor.

Great question Andie17, I've been pondering the same thing. At the moment mine sleep in their litter tray filled with hay but i wanted something more cozy and insulated for the winter. If i provide fleece or anything soft it gets peed and pooed on, same goes for anything containing hay! A covered cat litter tray sounds like a great idea or i might try and adapt the ikea table i have in there with them to make a box, that way I can put their litter tray in there and stuff more hay in to keep them toasty. Can't believe i'm already worrying about winter!

Mine also sleep higher up - they have a wooden Trixie house which is filled with hay, but they always sleep on top - I've put a carpet tile and hay up there

Back