• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Albus needs HUGE Vibes

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Albus Dumbledore who only came to us a few weeks ago after 5 years in a small hutch went for his VHD jab today and a series of large lumps were detected inside him which the vet fears might be tumours -

he was checked by a vet three weeks ago when he had his myxi - but was so very very nervous they did not do a full examination as he was stressing . . . I wish now they had . .

He has stayed in for x-rays - it seems so very sad -

Oh gosh - poor Albus dumbledore. I hope he pulls through. Thank goodness he has you to take care of him for now, I wonder how long he's had these lumps?

Well . . . I am not sure what to make of the results of examination :?

The x-ray showed that he has caecal impaction - the lumps are huge lumps of food and gas (I saw the xray) . . . BUT he is happy, moving around, eating, etc etc . .

His poos which have come out since the vet trip [and bear in mind he only went in to have his vhd jab - which he didnt get n the end] are an odd shape.

But before he went in they were fine (smallish but then they always have been ever since he came to us) . . . so she thinks its just the result of all the prodding that they have gone an odd shape.

The vet has given cisipride and fluids and a small amount of metacam to be given once he has eaten again and sent him home with us -

The state of his stomach on the xray looks awful - I mean the sort of xray which would suggest a bun that would be laying down, stretching out, not eating, depressed, etc etc and needing surgery . . but he is hopping around, eating, grooming etc etc :?:?

The vet says she has seen this before when a bun has had this as a long term gut dysbiosis/caecum problem of some kind and 'got used to it' - and she is concerned there may be an underlying problem which has caused narrowing at the exit - perhaps an internal abscess or tumour - but at present nothing can be seen on xray or ultrasound as the area is so full of gas and lumps of food . .

We are going to keep a close eye on him, medicate and give fluids every day and take him back on Monday to chat about what to do next - (obviously if he does get bad we will go back sooner).

There was talk of perhaps doing some small exploratory surgery to see what might be there . . .

Its all a bit mysterious . .

anyone any ideas? I do not have the xray here so cannot post . .

We thought Humph had an internal tumour for many months yet he was completely fine in himself. But later it started to get smaller and bigger of its own accord and it turned out to be his caecum. We have left well alone and he is fine, sometimes he has a lump sometimes he doesn't but it never bothers him :D

We thought Humph had an internal tumour for many months yet he was completely fine in himself. But later it started to get smaller and bigger of its own accord and it turned out to be his caecum. We have left well alone and he is fine, sometimes he has a lump sometimes he doesn't but it never bothers him :D

Mmmm - do you think it could be due to Albus having a poor diet before he came to us? They never had forage and just had muesli food - perhaps he developed a sluggish gut and caecum???

Mmmm - do you think it could be due to Albus having a poor diet before he came to us? They never had forage and just had muesli food - perhaps he developed a sluggish gut and caecum???

Could well be, I am sure Humph never had a great diet either, but it was also put down to old age. We just give him fibreplex when ever we feel anything forming

Sounds like chronic cecal impaction as a result of hypomotility due to a diet too high in carbs.

Lactulose may be useful to include with the fluids and prokinetics, it is an osmotic laxative and it will help draw fluids into the impacted cecal matter. Once the cecal matter has been softened careful manual manipulation can help break it down. It can take a good week to 10 days to clear. Personally I would not be wanting my Rabbit to have surgery without giving medical treatment a chance to work.

Sounds like chronic cecal impaction as a result of hypomotility due to a diet too high in carbs.

Lactulose may be useful to include with the fluids and prokinetics, it is an osmotic laxative and it will help draw fluids into the impacted cecal matter. Once the cecal matter has been softened careful manual manipulation can help break it down. It can take a good week to 10 days to clear. Personally I would not be wanting my Rabbit to have surgery without giving medical treatment a chance to work.

I think that is exactly what they are thinking as the way forward - to try and wait for it to breakdown and pass and then xrray and ultrasound again when things are 'clearer' in there and then if it is thought still necessary to try surgery then.

It was all a bit of a shock and then a bit of a rush as they x-rayed after surgery hours tonight (he only went in for a vaccine at 4.30!) in case it was something that needed urgent action - and we picked him up at 8.30pm - well after they close officially. - so I did not get to discuss things like his past diet with them - He is very skinny by the way . . . :?

I will mention lactulose - I dont think we have ever used it. before - but then we have never encountered this sort of chronic impaction - only impaction due to classic blockage.

I think that is exactly what they are thinking as the way forward - to try and wait for it to breakdown and pass and then xrray and ultrasound again when things are 'clearer' in there and then if it is thought still necessary to try surgery then.

It was all a bit of a shock and then a bit of a rush as they x-rayed after surgery hours tonight (he only went in for a vaccine at 4.30!) in case it was something that needed urgent action - and we picked him up at 8.30pm - well after they close officially. - so I did not get to discuss things like his past diet with them - He is very skinny by the way . . . :?

I will mention lactulose - I dont think we have ever used it. before - but then we have never encountered this sort of chronic impaction - only impaction due to classic blockage.

Another classic sign, he wont be absorbing nutrients very well

As the caecal material softens is there a risk of it moving 'en masse' and causing a more 'classic' style of blockage??

As the caecal material softens is there a risk of it moving 'en masse' and causing a more 'classic' style of blockage??

We have never had a problem with that if anything he gets a messy bum but a quick wash and some fibreplex normally sorts it out in a day or two

Back