• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

send me pictures of building hutches please

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Hey everyone I am planning on building my guinea pig a newer better hutch as his current one is getting old and it's not that great.

I know what sort of design I am going for etc but I have no idea how to start building it. I remember seeing someone post on a thread about how they made their double decker hutch (at least I think it was on here) and I thought it was really good but I can't find it to take another look at it

So anyone that has made a home made hutch and has pictures of the stages you went through please can I have a nosey?? Just so I get the right idea of where to start and stuff :wave:

Darn, if Id seen this thread a couple days ago I would of taken pictures while I was putting up my 2 big hutches..:roll:

Ah never mind lol. Did you build it yourself? How did you do the roof? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to do it

I have found a nice priced hutch to buy and is flat packed. To hell with building my own from scratch :lol: Probably would have made a right mess

the making double hutches out of single one i believe was posted by Jenova on 12/6/12 - I wasnt sure how to post it on here but it's in the housing bit

worth researching everything. think the sense of self-pride/happiness u'd get out of making your own would be priceless

heres my hutch that hubbie built,the top 2 levels are for the piggies,the bottom 2 are for the buns

100_1191.jpg

100_1192.jpg

100_1224.jpg

100_1228.jpg

the ramp to get to the top level for the piggies

100_1233.jpg

100_1244.jpg

for the buns,the levels are connected with a tube

100_1245.jpg

100_1246.jpg

the first hole connects to another cage,the second hole is a nest box

100_1236.jpg

100_1237.jpg

100_1324.jpg

100_1322.jpg

connecting to the second hutch,i bought this one

100_1254.jpg

100_1253.jpg

they is no silver stuff on it now and the wire panels are gone,they were there cos the garden was a huge puddle :lol: they have full range of the garden when iam in

Oh my god that looks amazing :love:

I have found a hutch that I could buy, or I could try building one for double the price :? what do?

Wow! That's amazing! Does he make things like this for a business? If not he definitely should! I would buy one and I'm sure a lot of others on here would! How did he make the wire bit on balcony type thing for the guinea pigs? It's a brilliant idea :thumb:

Wow! That's amazing! Does he make things like this for a business? If not he definitely should! I would buy one and I'm sure a lot of others on here would! How did he make the wire bit on balcony type thing for the guinea pigs? It's a brilliant idea :thumb:

no he doesnt,he is a joiner by trade,so knows what hes doing,it cost a lot of money to do,so i dont think many people would buy it :lol: its got proper house insulation inbetween the walls as well,so there nice and warm in the winter

i bought a puppy play pen and he chopped it down for the fronts of the cage doors and the balcony for the piggies

Wow yeah that's what I was wanting to do! Little bed hidey houses and everything!

How much did it cost roughly, if you don't mind me asking. And how did you secure the top of the bed area, did you just screw it straight into the wall or did you use wood underneath for extra support?

Wow yeah that's what I was wanting to do! Little bed hidey houses and everything!

How much did it cost roughly, if you don't mind me asking. And how did you secure the top of the bed area, did you just screw it straight into the wall or did you use wood underneath for extra support?

I'm afraidI can't say for sure but around £180. I only used 7mm cladding because it was going under a corrugated roof and sheltered on three sides. There a strip of wood under the roof of the box.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I am trying to find pictures of it all completed b I can't find them.

no he doesnt,he is a joiner by trade,so knows what hes doing,it cost a lot of money to do,so i dont think many people would buy it :lol: its got proper house insulation inbetween the walls as well,so there nice and warm in the winter

i bought a puppy play pen and he chopped it down for the fronts of the cage doors and the balcony for the piggies

It's such a lovely idea with the balcony so the guineas can have some fresh air and being at quite a high level they can see out everywhere. I must say, your husband is very skilled :thumb:

Back