• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay from The Range

Dave81

Mama Doe
Went down to my local store to have a look about and found some decent hay for sale, it's Devon meadow hay from http://www.naturesownpets.co.uk/index.html

Looks really good quality and was £3.99 for a 4 kilo bag.

Actually just noticed on the link above you can order direct, might do that instead of carrying it up the hill.

I'm using this as bedding/litter hay as I'm not putting the more expensive Ings hay down for bedding

Last edited:
I wish I bought some when I went because I use ASDA hay as bedding but I had no room to fit another bag in :( really want some now :lol:

I walked past it to start with as I hadn't noticed it, was spending too much time avoiding all the buckets on the floor. Roof leaks when it rains :lol:

We buy it too for bedding, though they eat it too. We are only on our second bag but we've been quite impressed with it both on quality and price. It is much better that P@H and the short strands make it ideal for localised mucking out in between full hutch cleans.

I was using the P@H stuff too but the quality of that isn't very nice to be fair whereas this looks really nice even whilst still in the bag.

Think I'm going to order direct next time and get 5 bags of it delivered as £19.99 seems reasonable to me

I did find when I went in once it didn't look so good, but we didn't need any so that was ok. I don't know that I'd bulk order because of that but I don't think it would be any worse than P@H and it's cheaper.

I've been using TheRange stuff off and on for a while, the quality varies quite a lot. Sometimes it goes not very nice at all. It's exactly the same stuff they sell in Jollyes (as you can see a Jollyes branded bag on their website) although it's more expensive there. As always it's good to have at least two types of hay they will eat at any one time, in case the quality of one changes in a new batch :?

Hi, I use hay from the Range mostof the time and the quality does vary alot. The last couple of bags Ive had havent been as good which is why I wont order it online. I dont want to take the risk of having loads here that isnt great. At least in the shop I can go through the pile myself to find the best one :lol: the bunnies and piggies love it though.

Funny that you mention about the roof leaking!! My Range here in Cheltenham has buckets all over the place when it rains too :lol::lol:

I'm hoping that buying direct from the supplier means they will only send out the good bags, I will report back next week when they arrive

I'm hoping that buying direct from the supplier means they will only send out the good bags, I will report back next week when they arrive

If supermarket home delivery is any good I would prepare yourself for the opposite and expect the stuff no-one would pick. Hopefully you won't get random substitutions though!

If supermarket home delivery is any good I would prepare yourself for the opposite and expect the stuff no-one would pick. Hopefully you won't get random substitutions though!

Supermarket, have i missed something? :lol:

I'm ordering direct from the place that sources the hay, dust extracts it then packages it, so that's why I'm thinking it should be good stuff

Hopefully it will be quite fresh. When buying from somewhere like TheRange I always wonder how long it's been sat in a warehouse somewhere. I'll be interested to hear what the stuff you get is like :)

Supermarket, have i missed something? :lol:

I'm ordering direct from the place that sources the hay, dust extracts it then packages it, so that's why I'm thinking it should be good stuff

Just that they give you stuff you wouldn't ever pick when you have home delivery, and send you shoe polish when you wanted Kiwis

Just that they give you stuff you wouldn't ever pick when you have home delivery, and send you shoe polish when you wanted Kiwis

Ha I understand now, can't say I've ever had that issue with my supermarket shopping but it does come from a purpose built warehouse and not a store

is it dust extracted?

Itdoesnt say dust extracted on the packet just longer strands so it gets less dusty! I have found that some bags are quite dusty and others arent. It is very hit and miss. I got a bag today from the range today and its nice smelling and good stuff, next week may be very different so I've got a back-up supplier now.

According to the supplier it is dust extracted, this bag I have doesn't appear to be dusty.

I will wait and see what my next few bags look like

I've been buying it for years and never had problems with dust. There's some at the bottom of the bag as you'll always get but no significant amount of dust in the hay you pull out.

I also have been buying hay from The Range for months as it's very good value for money. Also get straw and wood shavings from there too.

I had a problem a while back where the rabbits refused to eat a new bag and after posting on here I was advised to buy some from somewhere else to see if they'd simply gone off hay, or just that bag. It was the latter. I now use that particular bag for bedding and they haven't eaten it (and yet they ate the straw bedding previously, so it must be bad!) The other bag I bought at the same time as the refused one, they are eating quite nicely, so luck of the draw I guess.

I have also got hay from Poundstretcher as it's only £1 for a very small bag (lasts about 3-4 days for my 2 bunnies, depending on how much grass they munch), but that's not very often - usually when I'm running really low/run out of The Range stuff and can't get there (it's a fair jaunt from where I live so hubby and I usually have a poke about in the shop and have a coffee too. We know how to live ... :roll::lol:)

I've been buying it for years and never had problems with dust. There's some at the bottom of the bag as you'll always get but no significant amount of dust in the hay you pull out.

Ah thats good to hear :thumb: probably means the last bag I had was"old stock" it did seem drier and more dusty than usual. Todays is really nice :D

Back