• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog crate pictures!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Hey
Was thinking about building a NIC indoor house for my bunny, but think I have now decided on a dog crate!
I am going to get a 48" one I think and I'm going to try and make different levels.

Please could anyone get my creativity flowing with some pictures of their dog crate set ups?!

My rabbit is free range most of the time so this would just be a base for him, and hopefully a friend soon!

Dog crate bunny cage on a budget!

562156_4396781244565_2138965763_n.jpg

Here's my buns temp setup. She was outside in a hutch but her other half died so she was getting lonely so I wanted to bring her inside. The dog crate is 42" and £32 on ebay new (inc p&p). I used a panel off a broken old puppy play pen for the 2nd floor and attached it to the crate with cable ties and lined it with cardboard. I've used a plank of wood for the ladder. I've used a cardboard box with a door cut out doorway, lined with hay for the sleeping area. I've lined the crate with newspaper. There is a litter tray lined with paper which I'm hoping she'll use exclusively. This all cost me no more than the price of the crate. I intend to replace the cardboard with more substation materials like carpet and wood in time.:)

Feedback and suggestions welcome!:thumb:

562156_4396781244565_2138965763_n.jpg

Here's my buns temp setup. She was outside in a hutch but her other half died so she was getting lonely so I wanted to bring her inside. The dog crate is 42" and £32 on ebay new (inc p&p). I used a panel off a broken old puppy play pen for the 2nd floor and attached it to the crate with cable ties and lined it with cardboard. I've used a plank of wood for the ladder. I've used a cardboard box with a door cut out doorway, lined with hay for the sleeping area. I've lined the crate with newspaper. There is a litter tray lined with paper which I'm hoping she'll use exclusively. This all cost me no more than the price of the crate. I intend to replace the cardboard with more substation materials like carpet and wood in time.:)

Feedback and suggestions welcome!:thumb:

Have you found she goes up onto the top level? The ladder looks very steep and has no grip for her to get up. Don't forget buns just have smooth fur on their feet. I'd suggest screwing batons along it to help her. Alternatively, but preferably, create steps for her to jump up as most people find their buns prefer steps to ramps.

The ramp looks very steep for a bunny. I think, if it were me, I would abandon the top level and add a run to the cage.

ALSO, I'm going to attach a puppy pen so he's never ever just in the cage.
Do you use anything to cover the carpet in the pen?
Bear is the fussiest rabbit I've ever known when it comes to eating, but he LOVES to much on the carpet little monster :evil:

Bear is the fussiest rabbit I've ever known when it comes to eating, but he LOVES to much on the carpet little monster :evil:

Lots of people either get a large piece of linoleum flooring and put that down with the puppy pen on top. Some people also use tarp, but I think lino looks a bit better and would last longer if a bunny decided to nibble it.

Have you found she goes up onto the top level? The ladder looks very steep and has no grip for her to get up. Don't forget buns just have smooth fur on their feet. I'd suggest screwing batons along it to help her. Alternatively, but preferably, create steps for her to jump up as most people find their buns prefer steps to ramps.

Yes I think your right, she's not too fussed on using the ramp - i will defiantly look into steps, thanks!
She has the run of the conservatory and kitchen most days and an out door run for grazing.

I have a 48 inch dog crate for Spenser. Just going out, but will add pictures tomorrow if you are still looking for ideas then.

BUT..... this is what I found this morning! Ergh!
Any suggestions of what I could line the bottom with instead would be greatly appreciated, worried about the amount of that cardboard he will actually eat!!
He rattled the bars all :censored: night as well even though he wasnt shut in!! Little monster!!

dbaa7bfd.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks great :thumb:

Edit: Oh my :shock: I just use a blanket on Poppy's, and she has a big heavy box for her litter tray so she can't dig it up even if she tried :lol: Bar rattling.. Poppy used to enjoy this :roll: but since she had free range she doesn't apart from occasionally nibbling the door because it's in her way. Have you got anything heavy? and his litter tray/loads of hay can go in there so it gives him something else to focus on?

This is Poppy's crate :) she used to dig like a nightmare once upon a time :evil: but she went through fazes. I don't know what to suggest apart from a heavy wooden box like Poppy's because he isn't shut it. Bleedin' rabbits :roll::lol:

IMAG0847.jpg

Last edited:

i use to use laminate for scooter with carpet tiles every now and then so he wudnt slip to much.

if u cant afford laminate then just get a shower curtain a cheap one spread it out on floor and put adhesive lino tiles of it. make sure there is no gaps cause if u leave a gap thats too big u will probably come into the room one day to find the make shift floor ripped up. as i did :). good thing he didnt eat to much of it and the bit that he had must have just passed through his system normally :roll: its very typrical of scooter :lol:

BUT..... this is what I found this morning! Ergh!
Any suggestions of what I could line the bottom with instead would be greatly appreciated, worried about the amount of that cardboard he will actually eat!!
He rattled the bars all :censored: night as well even though he wasnt shut in!! Little monster!!

dbaa7bfd.jpg
[/IMG]

i use to wake up to huge messes like this all the time. i love how nice scooter has become now all i find in a morning in his cage is just molted fur every where.

first id get rid of the cardboard for one thats a huge temptation but leave the carboard house though best for him to have something to chew on. get rid of the quilt as well. id get him a bigger litter tray so he can did in it. maybe put his quilt in the cardboard house cause he can dig in there as well. as for the floor id try and get some carpet just cheap off cuts will do. Get some cable ties depending on wat hes like, use these to tie the carpet to the bars in the crate. after uve done that see where he digs the most common and when uve found that out use adhesive lino tiles in that area that shud protect him from chewing the carpet unless hes like scooter and eventually finds out that he can eat the tile and pry it off if he tries a couple of times. it may take a long time for him to eventually not trash his home so much but hell get there eventually. Good luck :)

oh and u cud put some of his food in a treat ball at night that will keep him busy and amused for some time.

He has a big dig box outside the cage, he's never shut in so room is covered with other toys and tunnels ect!
I did think about carpet, but I know he would eat more of that than the cardboard :(

Why don't you try some lino offcuts? Orif you would like something stronger, safety flooring is very good but a bit more expensive. Lino is quite cheap if you have a look on eBay :thumb:

Back