• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Over feeding??

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Just wondering what ur opinions are on whether I am over feeding the bunnies... This is typical of what they get every day (the tub on the left is for the 2 rabbits and the other is for the guinea pig)...

fcf26a29.jpg

I have already reduced the amount of carrot and apple they have since using this forum, and reduced their pellets aswell, they always have hay although how much they r eating I'm not sure. I've always been under the impression that plenty of fresh veg and fruit is best but since coming on here I'm wondering if I overdo it?! :oops: Should I be just giving them say one of these things each day as a treat? Would be interested to know what others feed fruit and veg wise...

I personally feed very little fruit and veg but thats partly because I can't afford to buy it and then give it to the rabbits.

If you are reducing carrot and apple and they have good poops and eat lots of hay I can't see the problem with it. I also got my rabbits to eat a lot more hay by reducing their veg, as I think it filled them up and they didn't eat any hay.

I feed more herbs and foraged grass and dandelions more (but as said thats personal preference!)

Personally I wouldn't give my bunnies that every day, I would only give that amount spread over one or something but more knowledgable people may say thats fine! I'm just really wary of upsetting their tums, my buns tummies are quite sensitive!

I personally feed very little fruit and veg but thats partly because I can't afford to buy it and then give it to the rabbits.

If you are reducing carrot and apple and they have good poops and eat lots of hay I can't see the problem with it. I also got my rabbits to eat a lot more hay by reducing their veg, as I think it filled them up and they didn't eat any hay.

I feed more herbs and foraged grass and dandelions more (but as said thats personal preference!)

I am going to start feeding more foraged foods. My fridge is always full of fruit and veg, but I rarely eat any if it myself!! They must think I'm a health freak in the supermarket buying all that every wk!! I may start gradually reducing it, I think I do it for my own satisfaction rather than them needing it, if u know what I mean!

Personally I wouldn't give my bunnies that every day, I would only give that amount spread over one or something but more knowledgable people may say thats fine! I'm just really wary of upsetting their tums, my buns tummies are quite sensitive!

They don't have any tummy troubles ;)

The amount is fine but there is a lot of sweet sugary veg there, such as the carrot and baby corn. My bowls of bunny food tend to be a lot greener.

114dbfb6.jpg

I don't feed veg though, I found a lot was either too sweet or tended to give them some gas.

First ask yourself if your buns are a) a healthy weight b) have healthy poops - no ceacals uneaten etc c) eat plenty of hay. If you answered yes to all those things then I see no reason to change what you are doing. My Pairs get a similar qty of veg though I feed more greens/herbs and less carrot, but not all buns tolerate veg well so its important to look at your buns overall health when feeding and feed according to what suits them.

Also if it helps green pepper has less sugar but still plenty of vit c for your piggie.

The amount is fine but there is a lot of sweet sugary veg there, such as the carrot and baby corn. My bowls of bunny food tend to be a lot greener.

114dbfb6.jpg

I don't feed veg though, I found a lot was either too sweet or tended to give them some gas.

Thanks for the pic! I def need to start collecting outdoor greens on a regular basis, will save myself a fortune! My bunnies LOVE corn!! I am just too soft and love giving it to them cos I c how happy they r when they find it in their bowl :lol: and I do like preparing the veg and making it all colourful!! But like I said this is prob more for me than them :oops: I do try to keep the amount of brocolli etc small to avoid gas and keep costs down!!

First ask yourself if your buns are a) a healthy weight b) have healthy poops - no ceacals uneaten etc c) eat plenty of hay. If you answered yes to all those things then I see no reason to change what you are doing. My Pairs get a similar qty of veg though I feed more greens/herbs and less carrot, but not all buns tolerate veg well so its important to look at your buns overall health when feeding and feed according to what suits them.

Also if it helps green pepper has less sugar but still plenty of vit c for your piggie.

Thanks, I may have to rethink what I feed them!! I tend to get green peppers mostly as I get the mixed bags from asda smart price which tend to be mainly green as they r least popular with humans!! But they occasionally get yellow or red ones if they're lucky :lol: Thankfully my piggie loves peppers (and shares the bunnies love of corn aswell. Expensive tastes like their mama ;) Good job I discovered Aldi!!! :lol:

I think when I get the new hutch and run set up I might start scattering bits of fruit and veg around the run to encourage foraging and make sure they come out for some exercise, rather than being presented with a bowlful of goodies in their hutch each morning!

I think when I get the new hutch and run set up I might start scattering bits of fruit and veg around the run to encourage foraging and make sure they come out for some exercise, rather than being presented with a bowlful of goodies in their hutch each morning!

I think this sounds like a great idea! Bunnies love to seek and find especially when they know they are going to get something yummy at the end of it! I hide my bunnies pellets and I love seeing them going to crazy looking and finding them!

I don't give Doughnut fruit or veg, she has dill and mainly forage stuff. Can you try your buns with rose petals and rose leaves, they are good for them especially the leaves and Doughnut absolutely loves the petals. They are a treat and a healthy one, then you won't feel mean!

I don't give Doughnut fruit or veg, she has dill and mainly forage stuff. Can you try your buns with rose petals and rose leaves, they are good for them especially the leaves and Doughnut absolutely loves the petals. They are a treat and a healthy one, then you won't feel mean!

Will add a rose bush to my shopping list :lol: This list is getting loooooooonng!!!! And my bank balance is shrinking fast :shock:

Back