• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what age did yoou have your female bun spayed?

age of spay?

• 4 months

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • 5 months

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 6 months

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • other

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sunny, 9 months
Sandy 2 years 2 months
Dopeys 2 years 6 months
Wish 1 year

The others came spayed from the rescue.

Sunny was done ASAP around Christmas and boys neuterings (which took precedence because they were hormonal and she was not overly), Sandy was done with her daughter. Those were the first two I had spayed.

The Dopeys were done whe I could convince my family it was best for them.

Wish was done when she was healthy enough.

Medium buns 5 months, tiny buns 6 months. Mainly becuase its easier for the vets to remove if its developed more but I know Richard Saunders and some other vets are happy to spay at 16 weeks. If you google Cottontails rescue and look at their early neutering campign there is some info there.

I like my rabbits to have matured a bit before I have them spayed. It's just a feeling with me really because there is no evidence to the contrary. So I wait till they are 6 months old.

Poppy was aged between 4&7 when we got her and we had her done within a few weeks of having her:D

amy was done at nearly 3 a bit late but better than not at all :lol:
i wonder if she had got done early if she would have a big dualop or not :?
i got her when she was 2 had to save up for spaying:)

My vet said that 6 months was the norm as they're usually fully developed by then. But I guess it also depends on whether (if there's more than one) there's any fighting going on. Their weight will also come into it and general health, of course.

thanks for the replies so far. theres already a bit of humping going on lol usually when they spot my other girl in the garden:roll: lilly does most humping as shes the dominanat one. i guess i wanted to ask as id like to get them done before any conflicts arise. also i know rescues usually have them done earlier than 6 months(some anyway) and wondered what there results have been like.what the pros and cons are of early neutereing ect...

Paige was done at one year, as that was when my shelter got her in. The earliest rabbit I have seen done there was six months.

6 months. My vet said he wouldn't do them earlier because they were medically immature. He said it was like the difference between child medicine and adult medicine - they can respond differently to the same medical procedure and it is the same with animals so it is less risky to wait.

Back