• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help quick before i have a panic attack!

emileemason

Warren Scout
two of my buns went in to be neutered today and now they dont look so good, and they both feel cold, i've made their hutches as warm as possible with hay and blankets and they are indoors. our house isnt the warmest but its warmer than outside.
Can someone tell me if theyre rabbits were like this after being neutered. i just don't know whats meant to be normal and i have to be at work soon so i dont know what to do..
They aren't moving at all and they are cold as i said before.. i know they'd be sleepy and the vet said theyd be drowsy and nautious (sorry for the poor spelling) but i guess i didn't ask enough questions so don't know how they SHOULD be..
HELP PLEASEEEE!!

Rabbits cah find it hard to maintain their temperature following a general anaesthetic. i think getting in touch with your vet would be best, they may need a wee while with a heat mat till they can take ove regulating their heat themselves again.

Last edited:
I would take them both back to the Vet and have them admitted. They cannot be left alone whilst in recovery

Provide a warm heatpad for them both now as they are obviously hypothermic.

Good luck

thanks for the quick replies, ill give the vet a call and see what he says, i dont have heat pads but i have hotwaterbottles so ill put them in now, my mum is home and she said she will watch them, i might move them into a smaller room and get a heater going in there or something, would that help??

That will help for now, just be careful with hot water bottles because they may chew them. Keep us up to date with how they get on.

oh okay, they have covers on them and id put them under the blankets that are in their carriers with them, they are in front of the heater now and in a small room so the heat stays in. Mojo came out of his carrier before we moved in and started hopping around which made me feel a bit better. But Benny was still lying in the same spot, though she was munching on some hay which i also saw as a good sign. My mum is going to keep a watch on them cuz i have to work but she has the vets number.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Rabbits go downhill extremely quickly.

I really think you need to contact your vet now.

(Incidentally, my vet says it is okay to panic about rabbits - much better to panic and be told, after vet examination, that actually they are alright than not to panic and wait too long, which can be fatal.)

Last edited:
oh okay, they have covers on them and id put them under the blankets that are in their carriers with them, they are in front of the heater now and in a small room so the heat stays in. Mojo came out of his carrier before we moved in and started hopping around which made me feel a bit better. But Benny was still lying in the same spot, though she was munching on some hay which i also saw as a good sign. My mum is going to keep a watch on them cuz i have to work but she has the vets number.
Thanks for the help everyone.

I am glad that your Mum can remain with the Rabbits. Do make sure that they are able to move away from the heater as their thermoregulation wont be great at the moment, so not only could they be too cold they could potentially also get too hot.

It is important that they both start to eat, poo and wee in the next few hours.

They cant move away from the heater because they are in cat carriers, because i couldnt move their hutches upstairs and i really have nothing else, but its nice and cozy in the carriers and its only for overnight while its cold.
They have been munching on hay and i can currently hear one having a drink, they are no longer cold either :)
I'm sleeping in the same room tonight and just going to set my alarm every few hours and turn the heater on if i feel its starting to get a bit cold again, but they seem to be going well now that they are in a warmer room :)
thanks everyone for the advice and quick replies :)

just to add, they arent sooo close to the heater though, just close enough to be warm, and they could go to the back of the carriers behind their hay and wouldnt be in direct warmth.

can anyone tell me how long rabbits are in the danger zone after being neutered?
i don't want to take them downstairs back into their hutches if they still cant regulate their temperatures cuz i don't want them to go back to being cold.

Benny seems like her usual self now and is keen to get out of the carrier, and was eating hay when i last checked her.
Mojo was slightly cold this morning at about 6:30, but at 5:30 they were both really warm which is why i turned it off, so its back on now, but its hard to tell if he's back to normal because he is usually a very quiet rabbit and when he is in his hutch he usually just sits in his litter tray all day long, not eating hay, just sitting there.

Once again i have to go to work today, and cant get it off as there is already 4 girls off and the restaurant is busy so its not an option. But my mum is home again to check on them. So should i keep them in carriers upstairs with the heater again or take them to their hutches?? I feel bad that they have to be in such an enclosed space but its the best i can do for upstairs..

Back