• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back Leg not working after anesthestic? *Kinda urgent*

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi,

Ive just got Daisy home from the vets after getting her teeth rasped. I know the surgery was done around 2 oclock and they did let us pick her up fairly early compared to normal as she has had this procedure done several times before. I'm a bit worried though because she is very wobbly and her back leg isn't working properly. We phoned the vet right away and they have said it is probably the anesthetic still wearing off and that we have to phone back in a hour if it hasnt improved. Is this what normally happens when it wears off? We have never picked her up this early before and its kinda scary to watch her stagger around and dragging her back foot along. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance,
Laura

Smoo turns into a slug when she has a GA. She can't use her back legs properly at all. Usually after about four or five hours she's okay and just a bit sleepy.

I would take her back if you're worried, or book the last appointment of the day and see how she is then?

depending on which GA they used this can tae ages to wear off - with those symptoms perhaps they may have used the classic combination of ketamin and medetomodine . . .

it was recently used on parsley when he had to go to a different vet than 'normal' and he had exactly that symptom - completely off his legs - my own vets wont use it as its so heavy handed . .

they should come round in about 6 hours though . . .

I'm not sure what they used, and her notes don't give anything away. It was her usual vet and she has had the procedure many times. I might be worrying over nothing since we have never picked her up this early but its horrible to watch! She seems really keen on moving around as well which is making me worry more.

Back