• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Rabbit has gas.

lovelybun

Warren Scout
My rabbit has a bloated stoamch since yesterday:cry:. Will Oxbow Critical Care help? I can't take him to the vet right now. :(

Your rabbit NEEDS to see a vet. Why can't you get there today?

Bloat could kill your rabbit, im sorry to say.

A vet needs to rule out an obstruction before you feed recovery food.

Please please take your rabbit to a vet today.

If transport is an issue, can you get a taxi? A friend to take you, family?

Hi there

If he has gas, you could try syringing some Infacol, used for babies - as can help disperse the bubbles causing the gas. Does his stomach sound particularly noisy, as this is a sign of gas? If he's bloated, I would really get him to a vets as quickly as possible, as bunnies can go downhill very quickly when not eating and then go into GI stasis - which you do not want!

Is your Rabbit eating and drinking ?
Has he passed any feces today ?

If your Rabbit is bloated then do not syringe feed him. If he is bloated as a result of an obstruction syringe feeding could kill him

The only useful advice is to take him to a Vet within the next few hours

Last edited:
if the bun is bloated (not a gassy bloat) then you need to see a vet asap as an emergency i'm afraid. most vets will see the pet even if you can't pay yet. you just have to sign some forms to say you will pay. if that is the issue.

if it's gas, then infacol can be given, but the bun will also probably need pain relief, ie metacam, and a gut stimulant aswell, which only the vet can give you.

feeding any recovery food can be fatal if the bloating is caused by a blockage. again only a vet will know this. :(

i think it's too risky to try and treat this alone to be honest.

best of luck. :wave:

Unfortunately bloat isn't something you can treat yourself at home. I'm sorry to say it can kill within hours and is very painful. Please take your bunny to a vet xx

Please take your bunny to a vet, it is critical the actual cause is established and correct treatment given which only the vet can advise. I hope he will be OK.

my rabbit seems better

Thanks for the concern, my rabbit seemed much better and he did pass feces. I will definatly take him to the vet if he does not recover by tomorrow.:?

I took him to the vet

Hi I took my rabbit to the vet and she gave him an all over and talked to me about his diet. She told me to give him more fiber and less pellets. He is much better.

gas

Even if you have seen your vets you still have work to do and not soley on diet.

I recommend a timothy hay diet for around two weeks and protexin fibreplex which is cheap £5 and free delivery on animeddirect.co.uk
I would also recommend protexin professional sachets about £2 each, maybe get three. Each sachet should last 5 days. You add to drinking water daily.
Also recommend infacol simeticone, its a couple of pounds from tesco or local pharmacy, follow instructions as for new born baby. The stuff is amazing!!!
Syringe hydrate your bun with 1ml of luke warm water a couple of times a day.
Ensure your rabbit is getting ample exercise daily.

Make sure your rabbits worming is up to date, 9 days consecuative course should be done at least once a year ideally 2-3 times if your rabbit is in contact with outdoors.

Often there is an underlying problem causing tummy upset.

Im currently treating a young rabbit with gas and G.I statis and have treated poorly rabbits many times.

What pellets are you feeding? i would recommend burgess excell adult. I use allen and page natural which can be bought in bulk 20k bags only but it has the highest crude fibre content i have found in any uk rabbit pellet suppliers products. It goes off pretty quick as it is preservative free but i recommend it if you have more than one bunny. It works out the same price.

If your bunny is showing drastic improvements, you can feed fennel, dill, nasturtiums to boost immune defenses and act as anti toxins. introduce them very gradually.

Tummy upset in rabbits is much more of a concern than in almost all other domestic pets. Only a rabbit savy vet will know exactly how to advise you. Most regular vets are not trained to cater for exotic pets such as rabbits.

Many people lose their rabbits to statis and bloat. You may wake up one day to find your bunny has passed. I would recommend collecting droppings and putting them in for a screen and its good for observation. The droppings should be large round and dry, ideally lighter in colour. A healthy bunny will also eat pretty much all of their soft poos.

Best wishes

Back