• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4.7.12 Dylan has gone to the Bridge

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
My elderly bun Dylan is off back to the vet later today. I hate taking him as he gets so stressed but he is now very thin and isn't eating. Last time I took him the vet gave him metaclop which seemed to work for a while. He said I can pick up some more without needing to see Dylan but I want to know WHY Dylan isn't eating.

I think maybe his metacam needs to be increased again (he is on this for arthritis). One of his eyes regularly has a discharge but this responds to antibiotics and eye drops and clears up for a while. I think, but could be wrong, the vet said it was pasteurella (sp). What treatment should he be having for that? My vet isn't that bunny savvy but will act on my suggestions after checking in FHB's book or 'phoning a colleague.

I think it is getting worryingly near the stage where 'that' decision may need to be made:(:( I so wanted Dylan to have another summer (but I know what 'I' want isn't what is important). I am working from home on Friday so he can go out free ranging then while I work in the garden (if the weather is OK). I can't put the others out with him as I wouldn't be able to catch them. Unless the vet says differently, I won't have him PTS until after he has had his day in the garden. He loves the sun.

He has started coming out of his hutch now the weather is warmer but shows no interest in food. I've tried oats, wholemeal bread, dandelion leaves and apple. Will syringe feed him once I have taken him to the vet but want to check there is no blockage first.

Please can I have some vibes for Dylan? I love this bun sooooo much. He is gentle and has been bonded with numerous buns over the years - he is part of a quad now. He is accepting and just a generally gorgeous rabbit. I feel like he has been part of my life forever.

Dylan in February this year:-

Dylan5Feb2012.jpg

Last edited:
The vet gave Dylan a good check over. His teeth are very higgledy piggledy - but that has always been the case. He could see a very small ulcer in his mouth. He had a really good feel of his tummy which was empty:cry: but he was as sure as he could be there were no lumps and bumps so said he thought it was safe for me to syringe feed.

He agreed with me that Dylan's pain relief could need increasing and wanted to prescribe tramadol but when he looked it up he couldn't find that it could be used for bunnies. I said I was sure I had read of it being used on the forum so he gave me some and asked me to check on here for the dosage - which I will do on another thread. He is very pro RU:)

If the combined tramadol and metacam doesn't work I can go in and collect some vetergesic and if that doesn't help he said I need to start thinking of Dylan's quality of life. I said I would love him to enjoy the summer and he agreed we could work together to achieve this.

At my request he gave Dylan a metaclop injection and gave me some more that I can use at home without having to keep taking Dylan in as he gets terribly stressed being shut in a carrier, even though he had Molly for company.

He had his nails cut while I was there as did Molly.

I was advised to syringe feed him as soon as I got home but I thought I would just try him with some wholemeal bread and he nommed it with enthusiasm. He then had dandelion leaves, grass and strawberry leaves so I left the syringe feeding and went to work. When I got home he ate some kale and some SS so I haven't syringe fed him as he hates it and I don't want to stress hiim out unnecessarily. Does anyone know if metaclop works that quickly? The transformation was amazing.

I am working from home on Friday so will put him in the garden and see how he does. He usually loves the sun. I won't let him suffer but if I can keep the pain from this arthritis under control hopefully he can enjoy another summer. His eye is much better but I am continuing with the drops.

Many thanks for the vibes. I was soooooo happy to see Dylan eating for himself again.

metaclop as in metoclopramide the gut stimulant?
It does work really well in my experience, I've had a couple of does who've had a second or third dose after spaying. Not sure of its viability for long term/ regular usage though.

metaclop as in metoclopramide the gut stimulant?
It does work really well in my experience, I've had a couple of does who've had a second or third dose after spaying. Not sure of its viability for long term/ regular usage though.

Yes - was just too lazy to type it in full.

Dylan is elderly and arthritic and I am realistic enough to know that he doesn't have that much longer with me. Metaclop worked well last time he had it - about two weeks ago. I just need to juggle his medication to keep him as comfortable as I can. I want to try not to syringe feed him as it is so stressful - for us both - and I need to think of his quality of life. He already has daily metacam and eye drops and when his eye is bad, antibiotics and is so, so good at taking his meds.

He is in a quad but is happiest with Molly, who is only about a year younger than he is but much more active. They groom each other and snuggle and are an adorable old couple. She will be heartbroken when he goes to the Bridge as the other two are so lively - both under a year.

Metaclop can indeed work that quickly....when Marnie starts threatening stasis she can be eating again within an hour is I 'catch' her quick enough with the metaclop. Injected often works even quicker

the offer is definately there for you if you would like to bring Dlyan and Molly over on Friday for some grass. They can go in the pen in the garden for a little while. Depends how well you think he will cope on the journey.

Vibes for the little handsome man. I hope he continue to improve and that you have at least another summer with him. :love:

Thank you everyone.

Sadly, Dylan seems really poorly this morning. Keeps laying on his side. He gets up when I talk to him but it seems an effort. I've just given him some tramadol and another injection of metaclop. He is eating some strawberry leaves.

Will see how he is when I get home from work but if he is not better I will seriously have to think about helping him to the Bridge as he just looks so sad:cry::cry:

I wish I didn't have to go to work but I run an Art group for mental health service users for two hours this afternoon and there is no-one who can cover it. I could take him to work with me, but I think that would stress him out too much as he hates being in a carrier.

I am moving house at some point soon so can't bury any pets at the moment. I have so many ashes in my study now:(

Although Dylan is in a quad he shares a hutch with Molly at night. Neither of my hutches are really big enough for a three but Molly would be so lonely on her own. She is seven and has never been alone :(

My head is all over the place. I just want my precious Dylan to rally to enjoy the summer. He does seem to be fighting. He gets up when I talk to him and is eating, albeit a little. He kicked me when I picked him up to medicate him. Not sure how long to leave it to see if the tramadol helps.

He is sitting up now. Just going to give him another metaclop injection and some more tramadol, metacam, baytril and eye drops.

I went around Asda trying to find food to tempt him. I have wholemeal bread, broccoli, mint, parsley, mixed herb salad, weetabix, oats, kale and some white chocolate bunny treats (which I normally wouldn't dream of giving to him but my Bridge Bun Justin used to eat those when he wouldn't touch anything else and it made his last few days a bit more enjoyable for him).

I have a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon for Apple to have her teeth cut. If Dylan is no better I will collect some vetergesic as the vet suggested and if that doesn't work I will ask the vet to help Dylan to the Bridge. I just want to try everything I can first.

I feel so helpless:cry::cry:

I did wonder if Dylan may have gone to the Bridge overnight but he was sitting up this morning and has eaten some herb mix, strawberry leaf and spring greens which is a huge relief. I gave him some fibreplex last night before I went to bed.

It's a real dilemma knowing when to syringe feed him. I know it is important that he eats but I can't watch him all the time and I sense I am stressing him out by continually checking if he is eating. He is very good at being handled but syringe feeding him does stress him out and he is already having lots of meds a few times a day. (Am now giving metacam twice a day and eye drops PRN). Not sure how often I should be giving tramadol but will check with the vet later when I take Apple in.

I think he still wants to fight - but maybe that is what I want to see. So, so difficult:cry: I am on-call all day tomorrow and Sunday too. I could take him into work with me but I think that would stress him out too much.

If anyone has any spare vibes for my gentle old man - we would really appreciate them please.

Oh Karen I haven't been on here for a while due to last Monday....but omg you should have txt me! I have found buns respond to meta loperamide orally but then stops working.....and the injection works amazingly well. I would wonder if the ulcer itself is stopping him from eating but I appreciate a dental would be dicey but with a sore mouth they do stop eating. Lily had to have a dental due to her gut probs and she's six and a half so it does get trickier with age....they found a big ulcer under her tongue even though the spurs were so tiny. She took a while to bounce back and then ate for Britain. Her gi blockage was awful......merlins been hospitalised and only came home the other day....had to rush him I to vets and vet was stunned....his spurs have got quite a lot longer but they're still teeny and a vet would say a dental not needed. But a weird teeny hook has caused an ulcer in his upper cheek maybe more. I've had to leave him there and he will have a dental in morning as I'd given him oral meds and they will give him more meta loperamide fluids and vetergesic over night.
At least your vet is trying Hun....that's a good start.

Dylan's such a lovely soft old man....I loved meeting them all that time but another bun on long term meds for arthritis made me empathise cos of Bertie....romys darcy too among many others.

If he's in pain from constant tooth rubbing it will make things so difficult. I am with you there with the sun.......Bertie didn't get another summer but I knew in my heart last summer that he wouldn't. It breaks my heart can't go out in garden....and not see him there.

Maybe ring another vet for a second opinion before you make the final choice. But if it's time to help him go..then it's time bless him. He will make the decision for you make no mistake.

All I can do is send vibes and send hugs xxxxx

Thank you all for your support.

I have been trying to keep a close eye on Dylan without checking on him too often as I sensed it was stressing him out. He doesn't seem to be eating much when I am watching - but he IS eating.

I now give him a mixture of metacam and tramadol in the morning and the evening. He hasn't had any vetergesic yet or any metaclop for a few days - I am keeping it for emergencies.

Dylan looks happier in himself. I have stopped the eye drops as his eye is now fine again. He is no longer laying flopped out but is sitting up looking more 'with it' and his breathing is better - it was scarily fast when he was at the vet and apparently his heart was beating far too quickly too. The vet agreed with me it is better if I don't keep taking Dylan back as he gets so incredibly stressed. I can just go in with the old syringes for disposal and collect some fresh ones as I need them. There is no way the vet would risk a dental because of how stressed Dylan gets just being at the vet with me there holding him. If I had to leave him there I don't think he would survive long at all.

I went to a friends this evening to watch the football and was stripping his rose of leaves and petals:oops: I also picked some dandelion leaves and Dylan enthusiastically tucked into them when I got home. Part of the problem is that the other three push him aside at food time so I try to feed him on his own but he doesn't always want to eat straight away.

I don't have a set routine as I work such weird hours but I think pain relief twice a day is definitely helping Dylan feel more comfortable. I do worry about the amount of analgesia he is having but I don't want him to suffer and every day is a bonus really.

Back