• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need help. Complaint about Rabbit care in garden center

Well i am a novice when it comes to this, i went to a garden centre today, and have cried about the conditions, but need to say something (im going back tomorrow with Rich, i think im much better in person, rather than email) But im going to send an email aswel. This is the email i have written (i haven't sent it yet. i need feedback first)

I visited your Garden Centre today 19/6/12. Which is why i feel compelled to write this. Everything was going ok, i saw the Chickens, Ducks, and Goats and was quite impressed with the standard of life they have. However when i went into the other 'building' and saw the Giant continental rabbit, another rabbit and guinea pigs, my heart dropped.

The Giant conti had a tiny bit of water left in his/her bowl, no hay, no 'real' space to move. The other Rabbit was in a hutch (no room to periscope, or run, again no hay)

I spoke to a young woman at the check out, and asked do the rabbits ever come out, she replied yes, but not when there is a chance of rain (i was confused by this because it was a glorious day, and no chance of rain). She told me that the Giant Conti belonged to the garden centre, and that the little Rabbit was boarding with you. I then asked about the lack of hay, and was told the Giant Conti is on a controlled diet and can not have hay, a totally absurd statement to make if you know or care about the health or the welfare of Rabbits.

All in all im am really distressed about the care of the Rabbits and Guinea pigs that you 'have on show'. I feel you should be setting an example to the public about the proper housing, husbandry and care that they need (Rabbits belong in neutered pairs, and to have myxo injections x2 year and vhd once yearly). Hay is a vital part in maintaining health,and good dentistry (rabbits need a constant supply of hay in order to maintain their teeth, it helps prevent spurs and life threatening dental treatments which can cost £1000 (i know this from experience).

I believe if you chose to be an education to the public, you should be a good one, which the way things stand you are not.

I hope for a quick response

Yours sincerely Rebecca Holden

sounds awful :(

your letter on the other hand is good, if it was me I would mention the possibility of contacting authorities, even if you dont plan to this could shock them into making changes, also i probably wouldn't visit the place just yet, as if they know who you are and that you have issues you may have problems when re-visiting to check the situation

i would end the letter with regards... then your name, they dont deserve sincerity! lol

good luck!

It's a good email. Check your capital letters especially for 'i' and I think you should explain a bit about why the rabbits need hay. For example, I was told he was on a controlled diet, however hay should be 80% of a rabbit's diet and should not be cut out. Please could you expand on the reasons why he cannot have it as it is so important for their teeth and guts and it's important they have access to it all the time.

I would also say that if the conti belongs to them then it should be in proper accommodation. Maybe point them towards the RWAF page with the minimum specification for a 'normal' rabbit being 6x2x2 and that should be so much larger for a conti.

:wave:

Back