• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I did it, I rode a horse!

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
and I dont want to die (yet!) :D:lol: really proud of myself! :D

I rode a horse called Bob, 17years old and 14.3hh :) I got on him and realised just how high up that is :shock::lol: was a bit worried about wobbling off as I've only ever ridden a pony, but its okay I stayed on :p

This is the pony I used to ride (about 6 years ago!) Nugget
26985_10150171031220010_2940876_n.jpg

This is Bob :D definatly a size difference :p (Im only 5'3)
598451_10151215758380558_1982915880_n.jpg

and some more piccies...
on the way to the school
181341_10151215754830558_1622384309_n.jpg

First attempt at trotting
601119_10151215759490558_199237871_n.jpg

Next time round, without holding onto the saddle!
550406_10151215760495558_1031741189_n.jpg

and my hands actually up!
285726_10151215761045558_1689222063_n.jpg

and heres the link to the rest (which you may be able to see!) http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151215754435558.557280.671510557&type=3&l=678560c81c

Very proud of myself and I did much better than expected!

thanks ladies I loved it! I did much better than expected, Nugget was very bouncy so I always struggled with trotting on him but Bob was much smoother and I did really well :D

Congrats glad you enjoyed yourself.

I'm 5'2 but I always get put on the huge horses in my lessons.

hmph why cant I ever see any pictures you post :( hmph

you cant?! :shock: hmm I wonder why :? even if you click the link?

so do I - but we dont have the money - its SO expensive .. . we did try abot 5 years ago and had to give up after just a few lessons -

it was £18 for 30mins private lesson :wave: I put away £10 a week and will be going once a fornight :wave: although I imagine Cambs is MUCH more expensive!

thanks everyone :wave:

Well done! :thumb: They are high, aren't they?!

May I give you a friendly tip though, on your foot position? Your toes are sticking out to the sides; they should be pointing forwards, like when you walk, so try and turn your toes in a bit so the whole of the length of your foot is against the horse's body and not just your heel. This is the correct position for your footsies and will assist you in giving your foot/leg commands to the horse later on.

I must book myself in for a beach ride by where I live, but it's £25 for just over an hour :shock: I could feed us (family of 4) for 2 or 3 days on that! I love riding and am in the process of seeing if our finances will stretch to me loaning a horse ... fingers crossed!

Well done! :thumb: They are high, aren't they?!

May I give you a friendly tip though, on your foot position? Your toes are sticking out to the sides; they should be pointing forwards, like when you walk, so try and turn your toes in a bit so the whole of the length of your foot is against the horse's body and not just your heel. This is the correct position for your footsies and will assist you in giving your foot/leg commands to the horse later on.

I must book myself in for a beach ride by where I live, but it's £25 for just over an hour :shock: I could feed us (family of 4) for 2 or 3 days on that! I love riding and am in the process of seeing if our finances will stretch to me loaning a horse ... fingers crossed!

They really are!

Yes! I know :oops: the instructor did tell me, and I kept correcting myself but when I was concentrating my feet would stick out again :lol::oops: I'll get it one day :thumb: I've also got to work on keeping my hands in the right position and when I rise in a trot my lower back is really stiff (apparently, could be due to hyper mobility, back injury or just lack of experience) so not too much to work on really :D

ooo nice! I'd love to do that! Hackings pretty expensive here http://www.manorfarmridingcentre.co.uk/price list.html but could be much worse :)
ooo fingers firmly crossed!

Wow....I'd love to do that!
Never been on the back of a horse/pony/donkey in my life lol!
Dont know anywhere near me that deos it though :(

Google! I had no idea where I could go near me :wave:

thankyou :D I wish my brother had got a bit of video but never mind, pictures are enough! :love::love:

Aww, I wish I'd got video of me riding when I was like 5, I only have a few pics! Theres always next time :thumb: did you feel proud when you took your hands off the saddle? Any advice/tips you needed I'm always here :D bet you'll be feeling it tomorrow :lol:

Aww, I wish I'd got video of me riding when I was like 5, I only have a few pics! Theres always next time :thumb: did you feel proud when you took your hands off the saddle? Any advice/tips you needed I'm always here :D bet you'll be feeling it tomorrow :lol:

I've not pictures of me actually riding as a kid :shock: yes :thumb:

Oh I really did! I've never been able to do that before :shock: Nugget had such a quick and bouncy trot that I just couldnt keep up, Bob was so smooth :love: I didnt bounce in the saddle once!
thankyou :love: I have a few things to improve on but nothing major :thumb: Im starting to feel it now :lol: going to go and have a bath soon!

Do you have to provide your own equipment/special clothing?
Do they take photos or was it just cos you had someone else with you?

I've not pictures of me actually riding as a kid :shock: yes :thumb:

Oh I really did! I've never been able to do that before :shock: Nugget had such a quick and bouncy trot that I just couldnt keep up, Bob was so smooth :love: I didnt bounce in the saddle once!
thankyou :love: I have a few things to improve on but nothing major :thumb: Im starting to feel it now :lol: going to go and have a bath soon!

Aww, you sound like you loved it! You do look a natural though:thumb: the worst thing for me is not leaning forward as much into canter, I've managed to sort my hands and legs out, now it's just the seat...joys :roll: ah well, you going once every 2 weeks? :)

Back