• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bathing a bun...

xlaurax

Mama Doe
:wave:

My 2 girls smell like wee wee at the moment :| I think it's mainly due to the fact they went through a phase of laying down in their litter tray as well as doing all their business in it :roll:

I use anti-bac (obviously bun safe) wipes on them once a week to keep their underside clean and fly strike at bay. However, they do need to be bathed to get rid of this stench!

My plan was: put them in a deep yet wide bucket so they can't see a way out and try and hop off, gently pour tepid water over their backs (avoiding head / ears / eyes) and gently shampoo them before rinsing with the cup of water again, slowly, etc.

I accept that could be totally wrong and extremely distressing for them, so wanted to know if anyone can tell me how they bathe their bunnies?

Also what's the best bunny shampoo?

Thanks in advance :D

:wave:

My 2 girls smell like wee wee at the moment :| I think it's mainly due to the fact they went through a phase of laying down in their litter tray as well as doing all their business in it :roll:

I use anti-bac (obviously bun safe) wipes on them once a week to keep their underside clean and fly strike at bay. However, they do need to be bathed to get rid of this stench!

My plan was: put them in a deep yet wide bucket so they can't see a way out and try and hop off, gently pour tepid water over their backs (avoiding head / ears / eyes) and gently shampoo them before rinsing with the cup of water again, slowly, etc.

I accept that could be totally wrong and extremely distressing for them, so wanted to know if anyone can tell me how they bathe their bunnies?

Also what's the best bunny shampoo?

Thanks in advance :D

get hibiscrub from the vets it helps with urine burn which might occur.

I put a grip mat in the bath and use the shower extension to wash yuki as she can move up and down the bath and is less panicked

Thank you! :) Will pick some of that stuff up from the vets :D

Not looking forward to bathing them I have to say but they need it!

Thank you! :) Will pick some of that stuff up from the vets :D

Not looking forward to bathing them I have to say but they need it!

hibiscrub also removes smells without leaving a strong scent which means its more of a natural smell

its an antiseptic too

The vets should give you instructions on how to dilute it/use it

ive only ever bathed scooter twice. the first was because he was smelly and the other was to help with a particarily bad shed.

when i bathed him i just did it in bath with a shower he was suprisingly still for it until he got towel dried. i just use baby jonhsons shampoo or i use petsathome deordorsing shampoo. :D im glad i havent had to do it again

i normally pop some warmish water in the kitchen sink then put the rabbits in, they do go straight to want to jump out but I wear my university hoodie (which is my animal hoodie) which is big and thick and i hold them against me, wet them a little, put small animal shampoo on them, and wash it out. I then wrap them in a towel and they get nice long cuddles while the get dry, they then stay in overnight to completely dry off in the warm.

Obviously I come out COMPLETELY sopping wet but its the least stressful way I've found to do it for them. Theyre not all that fussed when it comes to bath time now.

I have a big half frenchie scaredy Grim. The only successful way I've found to do it is to run a lukewarm bath a few inches high, get into some old knickers and an old top and carry him into the bath, sit down and cross my legs and his bum goes between my legs with his paws on my legs and his head under my arm. This keeps it stress free for him, but it's not nice for me. I only ever bath him if his bum gets too bad and I can't cut the poo off, so I end up in a bath full of poo. :roll: But it works best for Grim and then I towel dry him a little and then have a shower while he sits in the bathroom on towels.

He's a big boy so I couldn't do it in a bucket or the sink because he would just be off.

Thanks everyone :) I'm going to try the bath I think. Will put something down in it first though so they don't slip around / scratch my bath. I'm going to have a bash at it this weekend so I will let you know how it goes! I will probably end up as bunny enemy #1 :lol:

I have a big half frenchie scaredy Grim. The only successful way I've found to do it is to run a lukewarm bath a few inches high, get into some old knickers and an old top and carry him into the bath, sit down and cross my legs and his bum goes between my legs with his paws on my legs and his head under my arm. This keeps it stress free for him, but it's not nice for me. I only ever bath him if his bum gets too bad and I can't cut the poo off, so I end up in a bath full of poo. :roll: But it works best for Grim and then I towel dry him a little and then have a shower while he sits in the bathroom on towels.

He's a big boy so I couldn't do it in a bucket or the sink because he would just be off.

:shock: you are a wonderful bunny mummy

with the grip mat yuki just wanders around the bath and trys to drink the water from the shower head lol

Back