• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weighing a rabbit

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, so short of pinning my rabbits to the floor in an effort to manhandle them into my (small) kitchen scales and being able to read the weight within a millisecond before they leap out and scatter everything everywhere, how do I weigh a (very light) rabbit?! :? (I say (very light) as they're only Rex Minis and only about as heavy as a bag of sugar!)

Hmmm... yummy treats perhaps to keep them still and occupied? as long as you remember to take the weight of the treats off, are they the flat kind of scales?

They are flat, but they're only small. If the bunny sat still it'd be fine ... I'm thinking anaesthetic? :shock::lol: only kidding

It's only out of curiosity as Coco has always been a tiddly bit bigger than Thumper anyway (sisters) and I just wanted to make sure they hadn't lost any weight (no reason, just curious as I say). It doesn't really matter, but a couple of replies on here for different things have mentioned weight and it got me thinking.

The only way I've been able to do it is to use 'human' scales - weighing myself with and without the bunny.

I do it when cleaning the litter tray out ... empty it put a tiny bit of grass in zero the scales when the litter tray is on it .. then hold it and wait for said bunny to jump in ... quickly read weight ...

it doesnt always works and he gets wise to it and knows that I need him to sit for 1 second and finds it much funnier to throw the tray and tip things up ...

good luck :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(not sure on the weight of mini rexes but Bee is a mini lop and weighs 1.4kg so he is a light bunny too :) )

Could you put a box on the scales, reset the weight, and put bunny in? Or just take the weight of the box off after if you can't reset?

Don't they struggle to get out or is it a case of WTF :shock: and they just sit still through the "OMG what's this???"

They sit still in the bowl, not enough room to move plus I think they are Sat thinking why am I in a bowl :lol:

i put my kitchen scales on the floor and put the washing up bowl on it then pop the rabbit in and sort of hold them but not touch them if that makes sense. I do it twice so i can get a rough guess at the weight. Its not easy it takes 2 of us and while one gets weighed the other disappears.:evil:

They sit still in the bowl, not enough room to move plus I think they are Sat thinking why am I in a bowl :lol:

:lol: Yes, that's what I thought :lol: though mine might actually be thinking ":shock: oops; she really is going to turn us into a pie :shock:" so it does work, albeit temporarily? I might give it a go then, for a laugh. If it stresses them then I won't do it again, but maybe I'll try the weekend when my daughter can help (she's only 8 and would love this!)

I used digital kitchen scales (about £10 from Tesco) and weigh the rabbit in a carrier. I usually put a fenugreek crunchie in the back of the carrier, dangle the carrier in front of said bunny (usually Shadow) wait for the bunny to dart into the carrier (this only works with Shadow! the rest need shoving in!). Weigh bunny and carrier on scales whilst bunny noms treat. It's really quick and easy.

The bathroom scales version wouldn't work for me because my eyesight (even with glasses) isn't good enough to read the dial and be balance the bunny at the same time.:lol::lol:

Back