• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding advice please-greedy bun

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
Jack and daisy were at the vet tonight (jack was getting his vacc so he can go on his holidays to aliduncans house!). The vet weighed them both and while they have both put on weight, daisy has put on 0.5kg in 2 months. While both buns get a small amount of pellets every morning, veg and herbs at night and unlimited hay during the day, it seems evident that daisy has been helping herself to jack's portions. We have scattered the food on the floor but daisy is food anxious and will hoover it up while jack is a dainty little eater who takes his time. We have tried separating them for feeding but jack gets anxious as daisy isn't there and won't eat much. We have tried separate bowls but as soon as daisy finishes hers she helps herself to jack's. They are free range house rabbits so have access to a lot of space for exercise. Any advice as we don't want daisy putting on more weight and are beginning to get concerned over the amount of food jack is receiving.

Thanks!

When you say you have tried separating them do you mean different rooms, if so could you try separating them with mesh or a small pen whilst in the same room, so they can see smell and even touch one another but Daisy can't get to Jack's food? Say a dog crate or a puppy pen ar even their carrier? (though the carrier one wouldn't work if they associate it with bad things like car journeys and vets!)

Or the only other thing I can think of is to give them much less food so Daisy is eating less but to supplement Jack's with hand fed treats throughout the day, you just have to distract Daisy so she doesn't get jealous :lol::lol::lol:

Good luck!

I had this problem but scatter feeding sorted it as Spice (the not-getting-enough-food-bun) was a faster eater. That wouldn't work for you though. I also used to find that if I separated them to feed, Spice would get really anxious for the other two and ignore her bowl of pellets but when I put them back together, Oliver (the munching-all-the-food-bunny) used to hoover them up :roll: so not sure what to advise really :(

pellets are such a tiny percentage of their diet. i wouldnt be too worried aslong as hes getting constant hay and greens. if he still loses weight i want to have a thorough check over x

I have this problem too with Stu and Georgia. Georgia is a slow eater so Stu will steal Georgia's food and run away! We are currently seperating them and/or hand feeding. Any other suggestions would be greatfully received :thumb:

To make sure yuki gets more food as yuki is the piggie with them two, I sit with yuki for an hour in the evening and give her some pellets and fibafirst and veggies/fruit/herbs, I feed yuri some too but I have yuki out the pen and yuri in and they sit by each other and can see and smell each other through the bars of the pen.

Hand feed the pellets/ extra pellets to Jack through the day time if he's under weight. Reduce the food you're scatter feeding if Daisy is over weight. Are they both the same breed and age?
Unless they are under or overweight I wouldn't worry too much.

Back