• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice... trio of rabbits

Rebhaw

New Kit
Hi im wondering if any1 can give me some advice. I have a pair of neutered rabbits. 1 doe and 1 a buck. I would like a trio. A few people i know have done it. do you think this is possible?Only reason i ask is someone got snotty with me when i mentioned having another rabbit and now its playing on my mind as if im a bad person 4 wanting 3.

Have you read this? It's a sticky on the top of this forum. It would be worthiwhile reading, if you haven't. Once you've read it you will be able to ask questions specific to your situation.

Your other thread is here.

I wanted a third rabbit, and on here a lot of people were a bit snotty with me (and rightly so, because is CAN go wrong). So I had 2 girls, and adopted a 3 year old Nethie. It's the best thing I ever did, he is lovely and a good match with them, no fights at all. So then I got a fourth, and well, its not going so well this time :roll::roll: :lol:

You just have to make sure you are prepared that if you do take on a third rabbit, that if it doesn't work you are willing to get a full new accommodation and a companion for that rabbit. Meaning, you may well end up with four.

I tried to bond my existing pair Lily & Flopsy ( neutered male & female pair) and Bella my single neutered female a few weeks ago, It first started off quite well they were ignoring each other and eating side by side and stayed fine together for about half an hour, then the girls started squabbling a bit and Lily started to get a bit aggressive and poor Flopsy who is really laidback was just stuck in the middle, He loves lily of course as they are bonded but he also was grooming Bella. Lily then went to attack Bella so I had to remove Bella before causing any harm, after I removed her Lily then attacked Flopsy her bonded partner and they had a little set too for a few minutes thankfully that all settled down. I then felt guilty because Bella needed a friend so we went to a rescue and that is where we got Pickle and they are now happily bonded and have been together 2 weeks tomorrow, I have 2 happy pairs. Personally I think they are much better as pairs as they don't have to share each other if that makes sense. :thumb: Hope this helped :)

I wanted a third rabbit, and on here a lot of people were a bit snotty with me (and rightly so, because is CAN go wrong). So I had 2 girls, and adopted a 3 year old Nethie. It's the best thing I ever did, he is lovely and a good match with them, no fights at all. So then I got a fourth, and well, its not going so well this time :roll::roll: :lol:

You just have to make sure you are prepared that if you do take on a third rabbit, that if it doesn't work you are willing to get a full new accommodation and a companion for that rabbit. Meaning, you may well end up with four.

:thumb:

I agree with Happysaz too. I've now had 2 trio's which worked. The first one was when I adopted a 3rd bun to bond with my pair (male and female) as she was depressed at the rescue, old and generally not very homeable due to past health issues and her age. The deal was
I'd give it a go and the rescue would take her back if it didn't work. Fortunately it did work. My second trio are the rabbits I currently have. After losing both girls from the original trio I decided to try again with a pair of girls who had been in rescue for about a year. My boy took to them immediately and they still all get along great over a year later. I am very aware though that I've been very lucky and that more trio's go wrong than right.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here get snotty about trio's, lots of us have them.

The thing is you just need to be aware it doesn't always work and be able to deal with the consequence's if it doesn't work out. Will you be able to house the third bun separately if they don't bond? Will you be able to house all three separately if the attempt to bond causes the original pair to fall out? You may find you end up with a different pair and single. If you end up with a single would you be able to afford to get them a partner and have two pairs?

When trio bonds work they are very rewarding :D

Back