• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chasing - not sure why

As some of you may know I brought my new barc buns aurora and Ariel home on Wednesday.
As they've been ok, except iv noticed aurora chase ariel three times. I think she's pulled som fur as iv found some in the shed/run so this must be from times I didn't know of. Ariel can be quite humpy with aurora given the chance but Ariel has never from what I have seen chased or nipped at aurora. I think she is chasing due to stress as my neighbour had just started mowing their lawn which is why I came to check them and this is when aurora was chasing Ariel. Again fur was pulled. They stopped as soon as I appeared and Ariel can jump out of auroras way but it's still not nice. I gave them some more hay and a small amount of hawthorn to distract them, after they'd both calmed down. So far this seems to be doing the job. Ariel is still abit shaken and aurora is still a bit defensive but I'm watching them from the conservatory and they seem ok. I wasn't sure if I'd done the correct thing or what to do if it continues.

Perhaps try to limit their space a bit? When I brought Sweep and Hettie home from bonding at the rescue I very slowly expanded their space and monitored them - if there was any chasing or nipping I would reduce their space again (theoretically anyway - because they were fine)

Perhaps try to limit their space a bit? When I brought Sweep and Hettie home from bonding at the rescue I very slowly expanded their space and monitored them - if there was any chasing or nipping I would reduce their space again (theoretically anyway - because they were fine)

I'll try this, thanks, I can only really reduce the space to the shed, which I feel mean doing, especially as this is where aurora is most dominant and Ariel is using the outside run as a safety zone and sleeping on top of it. It's difficult because they're fine most of the time. I'll let them settle down then I'll try putting them both in the shed and disconnecting access to the aviary.

I'll try this, thanks, I can only really reduce the space to the shed, which I feel mean doing, especially as this is where aurora is most dominant and Ariel is using the outside run as a safety zone and sleeping on top of it. It's difficult because they're fine most of the time. I'll let them settle down then I'll try putting them both in the shed and disconnecting access to the aviary.

Well there's your issue - if Aurora is dominant in the shed and Ariel seeking refuge in the aviary then there will be tension when one goes into another's 'territory'. Really they need to both be fully established and happy sharing an area before the space is increased any more. With Hettie and Sweep they were doing really well so after 24 hours we opened up the top level in the wendyhouse, and after 48 hours we opened up the run. We then waited another week before letting them free range.

Back