• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch opinions?

the thing im thinking is you couldnt stand in there with the kids and for cleaning you'd be leaning. crouching is uncomfortable since we evolved from apes....

I have a run with a lid that folds completely back so the kids and i can stand in it to stroke the rabbits. with a self- built aviary you can make it 6ft tall, or search for something u can stand in. has to be comfortable IMO.

I've seen those 'in the flesh' and they're really not that big. They're only just over 2ft wide and the 8ft length relates to the whole thing, including the chicken nest box at the far end - not the length of the run. Personally, if I'd go for a shed/wendy house + attached run. However, I've not seen your other threads so I don't know what you're limited to. If it has to be a hutch then I'd go for a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 (min) attached run.

ETA - just had a read of your other threads. I think I'd go for your aviary option which is not on slabs. Yes, it's nice for the bunnies to be able to munch grass but it's not strictly necessary. The permanent aviary on slabs sounds the most user-friendly both in summer and winter (when grass will get muddy). As long as your bunnies have plenty of hay/readigrass etc, they won't miss the grass :D.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it. Even if it does go in an aviary, the cosy indoor area is only about 2ft square, the rest is open to the ground which will get extremely cold in the winter and also damp with frost even if it is covered. This means that the only warm dry space your bunnies will have to relax in is only about 2ft square, and given that most buns use part of the indoors as a toilet, it doesn't really give them anywhere clean and comfortable to relax and snooze all year round and especially in bad weather.

If you go for an aviary, I would go for a standard 6ft hutch or similar to sit inside the aviary, that way you can cover over part of the front too and it provides a large indoor area for cosiness.

Back