• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think I can get a better pet insurance quote?

Saj

Alpha Buck
Hi

My 2 rabbits came with a month free full cover from Petplan, arranged through the rescue. I rang up today about continuing the policy and they want nearly £30 for 2 healthy young rabbits (who've had all vacs, been neutered and spayed etc).

This is a bit more than I was expecting TBH. I know the cover is comprehensive - includes dental, boarding, all vet fees. Only exclusions are cosmetic treatments, vaccinations and putting down.

Does anyone think this is pricey and could I get it cheaper? Also, anyone know of a policy incl vaccinations or is that unheard of? I live in south-east england and have a nethie dwarf and a dutch.

thanks.

I pay £20 for 2 buns from petplan. I'd call back and not mention the existing and just go for a new quote and see what they say.

Think it depends on breed etc also and where you live.

Hi GrahamL

I dont think that will work as they have our details, so even if i dont mention it, they will ask me my name etc and then see the quote they just gave me. I'm an unpaid mother so every pound helps (not that they seemed to care..)

thanks jaysmonkey. I will call them tomorrow to get a quote. I need to ring around but it's so dull ....

Try and get Life Cover then if you have to take a bunny with a illness it's covered for life :thumb:

There are only a few companies so it shouldn't take too long to get quotes. PetPlan provide the best cover but are a bit more expensive. P@H for life policy is also quite good. Watch out for annual policies though, you don't want one of those because if the animal gets sick they won't cover that illness next year.

Parsnip bun - which co did you go with?

I think vets in the home counties are very expensive. or maybe i just asked lots of questions so they put the premium up to cover the phone call cost

P@H

Wasn't too happy about going with them but it was a whole £10 p/m cheaper than Petplan, and I don't have money to waste like that just because I don't like P@H.........

ETA: It's the lifetime policy too, the year policy was a couple of pounds cheaper but not worth it IMO

ask if the quote includes the multi pet discount i have 2 mini lops insured with petplan at a guess for both a month its about £21

Babsie - you are a southerner too, maybe that's why??? Can you change at your annual renewal?

I agree with what catherine says about price. Yet I wouldnt dream of going without cover as rabbits dont have very long lives and it's the last thing u want to worry about, if my buns got ill, i'd just want them treated and not hesitate because of extortinate vet fees

if i get a better price from ringing round the mentioned companies, i'll post it on the forum. WIll ring directline too as keep seeing their annoying ads everywhere

Babsie - you are a southerner too, maybe that's why??? Can you change at your annual renewal?

I agree with what catherine says about price. Yet I wouldnt dream of going without cover as rabbits dont have very long lives and it's the last thing u want to worry about, if my buns got ill, i'd just want them treated and not hesitate because of extortinate vet fees

if i get a better price from ringing round the mentioned companies, i'll post it on the forum. WIll ring directline too as keep seeing their annoying ads everywhere

I'm a southener too - from North Hampshire like Babsie is :wave:

The only difference between the cover I now have, and the cover that Petplan were offering for £24 per month was that the vet limit was £1500 instead of £2000. For me, that wasn't worth another £10 p/m!

pet plan

I use pet plan for my bunny they are good but costs circa £12 per month but dental is not included!

my bunny is a british giant so every thing costs more as every treatment goes by weight of bun so is crazy!

rob

I would say I pay about £30 for my two on Petplan. Poppy is getting on a bit now (nearly 6) and Peter is 3, I think it's gone up a few pounds from when they were first insured.

Unfortunately these things just seem to be getting more pricey!!

update- got a much better price

Hello

I rang Pets at home cover, they offered me £6.76 per rabbit per month for life cover! The cover includes the same as Petplan, but as catherine09 said, the cap on the vet fees is lower at £1500, as opposed to £3k with PP. they also send you £10 voucher per pet - so my next excel pellets and hay would be sorted.

I was going to call Tesco pet insurance but it's an 0845 number! Exotics direct were around £9 a month but it didnt matter what breed ur buns are.

Will try a few more later to see if can beat it but looks like i'll go with pets at home.

Thanks everyone, you've saved me some money!

Hello

I rang Pets at home cover, they offered me £6.76 per rabbit per month for life cover! The cover includes the same as Petplan, but as catherine09 said, the cap on the vet fees is lower at £1500, as opposed to £3k with PP. they also send you £10 voucher per pet - so my next excel pellets and hay would be sorted.

I was going to call Tesco pet insurance but it's an 0845 number! Exotics direct were around £9 a month but it didnt matter what breed ur buns are.

Will try a few more later to see if can beat it but looks like i'll go with pets at home.

Thanks everyone, you've saved me some money!

As far as I am aware - P@H, Exotics Direct and Petplan are the only three that offer rabbit insurance. All the others are just Cat and Dog :wave:

Back