• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uneaten Caecotrophs

Kavanne

Mama Doe
Both my buns are acting normally, I've seen them both eating and they're lying normally/running around etc however, there was a lot of uneaten caecotrophs under my bed when I got home this morning.

I have a feeling they're Rupert's even though he is built like a brick **** house and I though I'd never have any problems with him!!!

I have been rather silly in that in the last 2 days they got a Strawberry each for the first time and I gave them two leafy hawthorn twigs (first time).

As they're both acting normal in themselves should I just keep an eye on the situation and hope I made their diet a bit rich in the last few days?

Oh they also got a bunch of carrot tops I got for free from the local Pick your own farm. Could they have been richer than the normal ones from the supermarket carrots?

Thanks for any advice!

Sounds as though they have been overfed !!

I would restrict them to just hay and water for 24 hours (as long as they are both good hay eaters)

Then next time you introduce new foods just do one type at a time :)

Sounds as though they have been overfed !!

I would restrict them to just hay and water for 24 hours (as long as they are both good hay eaters)

Then next time you introduce new foods just do one type at a time :)

I know it just didn't even occur to me that I'd already given them the strawberry when I found the hawthorn!! Doh!!

I'm working again tonight so I will leave them with a few pellets (I am not good at tough love!) and will make sure there's lots of hay about :)

Out of those three I'd say it was the strawberry, they are very sweet and that's the sort of thing that would set Mini off.

Poor Ginger :(

I forgot to say, Mini is fine with the leaves. :) it's just fruit that sets it off.

thanks guys!

Poor buns, they loved those strawberries!!!

Anyway, I did a proper clean out just before I posted this, then went back to sleep, am up now and no further incidents so far...

They've got plenty of hay tonight so hopefully when I come home in the morning all will be well!

Back