• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby bunnies too thin?

FBSFB

New Kit
(Background http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?344936-To-move-or-not-to-move)

Since moving them inside all the babies have become more active and one (Columbus) has start hopping right out of the nest and chasing mum around the kitchen till she gets fed up and jumps into her bed that he can't get to. Since they have been inside i have a much better chance to keep and eye on them, which might be what has made me worry more :S

With little Columbus running all over I have watched him a lot, but I am worried that he might a bit thin for his age. How big/fat should a baby of about 17 days be? Mum herself is pretty thin and hasn't put on weight since we took her in, probably due to being pregnant. I have hopefully attached a few pictures below of the babies.

600017_10100504349882828_1754975803_n.jpg

167480_10100504349144308_1311206292_n.jpg

181440_10100504350316958_1157844302_n.jpg

554660_10100503761022908_486594847_n.jpg

580093_10100504350756078_863562645_n.jpg

Picture of mum:
mum.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, he does look quite thin and bony. Is Mum getting unlimited pellets and lots of fresh foods? I know people normally avoid using mIx but when the mum I am fostering needed to put on weight I started her on Rabbit Royale. They tend to eat all of it and I fInd it really helps buns who need a bit extra.

Here is one of the kits I have at a similar age.

IMG_2766.JPG

Another thing, what do their tummies feel like? Are they still big and round like ping pong balls? I would let them have access to whatever food mum is eating. If their tummies are not round I think a vet visit would be a good idea.

Have any of the kits had runny poo ?

I am a bit worried that coccidiosis might be an issue and in the first instance I would advise you to get all the kits checked over by a Vet.

Also weighing the kits every day will give you an idea of how well they are gaining weight.

Hi, he does look quite thin and bony. Is Mum getting unlimited pellets and lots of fresh foods? I know people normally avoid using mIx but when the mum I am fostering needed to put on weight I started her on Rabbit Royale. They tend to eat all of it and I fInd it really helps buns who need a bit extra.

Here is one of the kits I have at a similar age.

Yea since mum arrived she has been free to eat as much as she likes as she arrive very skinny. She goes through two soup bowls of excel nuggets a day. As well as a mixture of fresh veg, some treats, and anything that isn't out of reach in the garden.

We thought there might be some problems with her being so thin herself. But she only had 3 in the litter, so hopefully she shouldn't be under as much strain.

Is there any suggestion what to do? I read in http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

~Days 25-33 - A rabbit’s gut changes.

~Days 25-33 - Weaning starts.

So they only have about a week, and little Columbus has already start showing an interest in the greens left out for mum.

EDIT:
No runny poos in the nest.

Their weights below.
columbus white brown
296 300 261

They don't look like ping pong balls, but i think mum is more of a dusk feeder as that is usually when the bunnies become more active and Columbus goes adventuring. The brown feels thinish. But the White one feels quite fleshy. Columbus is sort of in between.

Last edited:
I would be wondering about health issues too, but i would be maybe thinking teeth?

They are likely to still be drinking but also eating loads of proper food as well (really their diet should be very similar to mummy bunnys diet). Is mummy on unlimited pellets?

I'd provide a SnuggleSafe 24/7 so he can always get some snuggly warmth as well.

I would be wondering about health issues too, but i would be maybe thinking teeth?

They are likely to still be drinking but also eating loads of proper food as well (really their diet should be very similar to mummy bunnys diet). Is mummy on unlimited pellets?

I'd provide a SnuggleSafe 24/7 so he can always get some snuggly warmth as well.

Not sure what there teeth are doing, although i know one of them as been nibbling the edge of the nest box.

Mum is on unlimited pellets. But i haven't seen any of the babies try any pellet for or veg yet. I have now moved another food/water set up extremely close to the nest to see if that might help them out.

As for warmth they are now in a corner of the kitchen and feel nice and warm when ever i check them, but will keep and eye on it as the kitchen does change temperature quiet a bit through the day.

Sorry, I misunderstood how old they are, I misread and then thought they were older. they could very easily start nibbing her food at any point.

I would add a SnuggleSafe regardless of temp. It just means their bodies don't have to work so hard to keep warm. I was using them in the boiling hot summer with a vulnerable litter I had and it helped them no end. You lose nothing by doing it.

I don't think he looks as bad as I thought he did, for sure. Sorry!

We had a litter of 6 and they were very variable. One just had a much sleeker profile and still does at a year old

Back