• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gypsy is going to the vets Today :-(we're home

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
My poor girl has had her problems with EC and hind leg weakness :( I had suspected arthritis but now I'm not sure if it's something even more sinister :cry::cry::cry:

She has not been able to periscope for some time. This is sad for a bun who would jump highr than any bun I've ever met:( she has been getting glucosamine to help her joints, it really seemed to be helping, she was a lot more springy and could hop more like a bunny again.

However these past few days I have noticed Gypsy's back end leaning to one side when she hops, especailly when she turns corners :cry: this morning she almst tripped over her back feet, almst as though she could not get her legs to move as she wanted them to.

could this be spine problem? will Gypsy end up a disabled bunny?

despite everything she still has a lot of spirit, is eating well, seems happy and lively. She even somehow got on top of a pet carrier which I had put as a barrier to stop her getting to wires. I couldn't believe it :shock: this is a bunny who I thought couldn't jump anymore!. Sadly as she jumped down I could see how uncomfortable it was for her as her whole back end rolled to the side :cry:

I have taken her to the vets on many occassions but she always appears normal. I have mentioned medacam but they have been reluctant to give it. I never get to see the vet I trust :( I guess because everyone want to see him and not the others.

What do I need to ask the vets? what tests and other stuff should I ask for?

Forgive me if I'm rambling, I'm just very upset. :(

Last edited:
It could well be osteoarthritis in her spine and I feel certain that if it were then Metacam would help A LOT.

I cant understand why the Vet wont prescribe it :?

Maybe you need to be rather insistent. An Xray would give some information as to what may be going on, but sometimes it can be reasonably obvious during a physical examination.

I hope the Vet can help xx

Thank you.

I feel like I've been banging my head against a brick wall trying to talk to some of the vets :( no one will take me seriously as Gypsy looks ok to everyone who doesn't know her. I just " know," that something is going on, it has been for some time and I'm kicking myself for not knowing more about bunnies and their health and how they " work," I wish I was a lot smarter then I could educate the vets!!

It could well be osteoarthritis in her spine and I feel certain that if it were then Metacam would help A LOT.

I cant understand why the Vet wont prescribe it :?

Maybe you need to be rather insistent. An Xray would give some information as to what may be going on, but sometimes it can be reasonably obvious during a physical examination.

I hope the Vet can help xx

Thank you Jane. I have been trying to research more into osteoarthritis and some of the symptons are the same. I really wish I had your knowledge of bunnies. I feel like I'm failing her :cry: I go to the vets knowing what to say and then get talked down :cry:
I need to fight harder. I'm just sad I should have to fight at all :(

jane, you were right. gypsy does have osteoarthritis in her spine.

we saw a lovely vet who examined her very well. my poor little girl was very uncomfortable when the vet felt her spine :cry:
her legs seem ok though.
we have medacam a dose of 0,6ml.

on the possitive side i was told that her teeth are amazing and that she looks great for her age :love:

Hope the metacam makes her feel better. Did you get the name of the vet you saw? That way perhaps you can see them next time too.

Thank you everyone :D

No, I didn't get the vets name, but I could soon find out from their web page :D

I was surprised how hard the vet " massaged," Gypsys back along her spine, maybe it just looked hard to me as I would be too afraid of doing damage. I flinched with her when they found the hurty bit :(

Gypsy has found revenge in ripping up the carpet in the bunny room :lol:

Back