• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch ads

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Aw man was looking for a second hand hutch to smarten up and keep my guinea pig in and I cam across an add of a hutch that is "It is 33 inch wide, 15 inch deep and 14 inch high" and you can just see this little white rabbit in there that could probably only just sit up :(

how sad, do you think you'll send them a note?

when i was looking for a hutch, majority were 4ft wide. struggled to find 6ft plus til i looked at the housing sticky and asked peops

If he's advertising the hutch it may be that you are too late to help that bun. If the bun was still around he'd still need the hutch.

If it's close enough to go and look at you could mention that you are unsure if it big enough for a piggy and ask that he doesn't sell it as a hutch for buns as it is not suitable and explain why... act like you had no idea that he had a rabbit in there. It might upset him a bit esp if he feels cruel and the bun is recently deceased but he needs to know or he'll do it again :(

i would keep it friendyish but point out the minimum RWAF measurements, something like:

"hello there. I am looking for a hutch to purchase and i came across yours. However, it is too small for a rabbit to live comfortably, and that is not just my opinion but the rabbit welfare assocation and the RSPCA. A hutch should be a minimum of ... to allow a rabbit to move freely. I just wanted to alert you to this unofficially....

hopefully that'll put him/her off

It is in Nottinghamshire, I tend to forget to put in an area to search when I first go on Ebay and stuff.

It only has one day left so I guess it has been up for a little while

I don't think I have seen such a small hutch before

post it as a question - is it possible for buyer's questions to be made public - so another rabbit wont suffer

is the rabbit being sold with it?!

post it as a question - is it possible for buyer's questions to be made public - so another rabbit wont suffer

Yeah I was just about to post what Saj had said. I don't think so there hasn't been anything said about it. Someone is bidding for it for 99p....The hutch I mean

Perhaps the rabbit has unfortunately passed on and this is the reason for the hutch being sold?

Make sure you get all the information before you make assumptions :)

RU has a dedicated Free Ads team (as per my link) if you have concerns :D

Thankyou Graham :) yes I know, I was going to ask if the rabbit had passed away. But I would feel awful if someone else bought it and did the exact same thing...Putting a rabbit in there

Questions can only be made public if the seller chooses to do so.

As Graham suggested already, if you aren't sure how to approach the situation then I would PM the link to one of the Free Ads Team.

They're used to dealing with similar ads on a regular basis and so they have experience of approaching people & getting the message across without sounding harsh or critical. Sadly, it doesn't always mean notice is taken, but there's a much higher chance of success if the topic is broached in a friendly, non-judgemental manner.

The rabbit isn't necessarily being sold with it but, if that's the case then the Free Ads team can give advice on more suitable methods of rehoming. Likewise, just because somebody is bidding, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be used as full-time housing - it could be a mad bunny lady like you or I looking for a shelter to use in a run.

that's a really valid point someone made about making assumptions, and we all do.

If the seller tweaked the advert and said it was a shelter/hide house and added some blurb about the RWAF guidelines as a note at the bottom, then it would be fine in my opinion, and the photo prob needs changes changing if it showed a bun in it - and that is what rightly concerned our little eskimo

that's a really valid point someone made about making assumptions, and we all do.

If the seller tweaked the advert and said it was a shelter/hide house and added some blurb about the RWAF guidelines as a note at the bottom, then it would be fine in my opinion, and the photo prob needs changes changing if it showed a bun in it - and that is what rightly concerned our little eskimo

I might have jumped to conclusions at first. But it was the picture that got me. This little bun (I assume baby or nethie) took up like half of the living space and looked like his ears would just fit if he sat up. Kind of gets to me a little...:cry:

Back