• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing crisis - can anyone help review my options please?

Bugalugs

Warren Scout
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help me as i'm struggling to work out what my best option is for my buns. My current set up has been a 6x2 hutch with a permanent 6x3.5 run attached for my two buns.

On Friday i ended up aquiring a third rabbit after being told that if he wasn't rehomed that day he's be set free into the wild:? So once he has been neutered i'm hoping to have a trio all living together.

Then on Sunday the roof blew off our shed and has damaged the hutch beyond repair ( buns all fine btw! )

Now the accomodation constists of only the permanent run 6x3,5 ft with plenty of hides and shelter until i get something sorted.

My budget is about £120 to revamp all the housing but i'm unsure as to the best option. I could stretch to more for the ideal set up if i could only figure out what that was!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A) I could by a replacement large hutch to attach to the run giving just over 30sq feet which I don't feel is adequate.

B) i could convert the run into a permanent hutch type enclosure, buy 6 aviary panels to creat a huge uncovered run (90+) square feet when i'm home, and then convert it into a 6 by 6 covered run when i'm not home. This option gives them masses of space but is weather dependent :shock:

C) start from scratch, buy 6 aviary panels and a door panel and using an existing wall and the panels to creat and aviary of 9 x6 ft giving them a permenant covered area of 54 squar ft, but no grass access.:shock:

What to do???

I've tried to pick other people's brains on the options and they have me down as the mad bunny lady....

Hi there

option a) does sound small and you will never feel satisfied so will then spend more money time enlarging once again

option c) sounds expensive given your budget and hard work - given you already have the bunnies, you dont want to spend ages on this esp with the weather we keep having.

I would go for option b) as i have boarded up a chicken coop style run to convert it into a hutch and to be honest it wasnt that difficult

let us know how you get on.

Unfortunately hubby will not allow a second shed as he says it'll make the garden look a tip! The best he will agree to is an aviary as it looks less imposing! He has agreed to let me put a cat flap in our existing shed however and says i can section a corner off to form a 'hutch' part of an aviary or run.......

The thing that appeals about an aviary is that me and the kids can go and sit in it to play with buns rather than having all the faffing about we have at the moment ( as my children are still young ).

I love the idea of all of the space they'd get on the lawn with the open run when i'm here, but as the weather is chronically rubbish here i'm worried that they won't get to use that space enough and would spent too much time cooped up in a 6x3.5 hutch!

I think option c as I think it would be better for them to have permanent access to a smaller (but still in excess of RWAF requirements) amount of space full-time rather than a massive space (option b) that would be dependent on the weather.

My two are in a kennel/run & I let them out for a couple of hours so they can run around on the grass but I'm there constantly to supervise. Or you could grow grass in pots for them.

I think I would go with option c - then is it possible to salvage the 6ft hutch to put inside the covered aviary (as it won't need to be watertight anymore?). Then you will have a 6ft hutch inside the aviary, a lovely big covered aviary for them all to play in plus a separate run to let them have access to grass?

Back