• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new turf - how long

Hc1

Mama Doe
Had new turf put down almost 2 weeks ago. Bunnies have been confined to shed and run (now on patio) since then. They are hating it :( and I found Sugar trying all the edges yesterday, desperately trying to find somewhere to squeeze out. Shed is 8 x 6 and attached run is 18 x 3 so they do have hopping around space but they are used to free ranging every day. When can I let them loose on it?:D

Also, do I need to limit them to short times to start with? They used to be on the grass pretty unlimited before but it was very short grass due to constant nomming. This stuff has been well watered and is coming up fast and long and lush.

I'd let them loose, I think if it's growing well that's means it's started putting roots down and it's not like bunnies are heavy whilst tramping all over it. I think once it's started growing, you're meant to mow regularly too so perfect time to let the organic mowers at it ;) Just watch they aren't digging or munching one spot too heavily.

I would restrict them a bit to start with just to be sure it won't effect their tummies, but you might find they are too busy racing about too eat at first anyway :)

I usually pick grass (or cut it with shears) for a few days so they are used to it, then let 'em loose:D

Back