• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Spay Environment

Hello All,
We're about to get our doe (Netherland Dwarf X Lionhead) Daisy spayed, but given that she normally lives with our male bun (Bobby) in an area that isn't ideal for her convalescence (jumping in and out of a hutch, and hay and straw in the litter trays) we're wondering how best to house her post-op. We have old sheets that we can use as bedding, boxes that she loves to sit in, and an area that we can cordon off for her where we can keep an eye on her. Both her and Bobby are very litter trained (thankfully!). Our questions are:

How little should she 'jump'? - are standard cat litter trays (around 2.5 inch high) too high for her? Also, will she stop herself from jumping, or should we remove all temptation?
Can Bobby be in with her for short periods of time if we are watching them? They seem to have a strong bond, so I don't want to disrupt that.
When can we put them back together? We can easily keep them together in the 'post-op' area.

Any idea or advice on how to keep Daisy comfortable, maintain the bond and the litter training is very welcome! We've read through countless guides on the web, but are still finding ourselves with unanswered questions!

Thanks!

I am assuming that the male bun is already neutered? If so , I would keep them together as long as he doesn't 'mither' her too much, and as far as jumping etc, limit it for first few days, they seem to know what is ok for themselves, my female bun was wanting to go outside within 48 hours, she was an indoor bun at the time, but she was looking outside longingly, so I let her out for a short while and she was fine.:wave:

I would also keep them together but keep an eye on them to make sure he's not being too rough or picking on her because she smells like the vets.
You could also house them side by side with mesh in the middle if that's possible?

As for accommodation anything like clean old towels or sheets are perfect. I would just put newspaper in the litter tray (I don't think a cat litter tray would be too high to jump) and a tiny bit of hay in one corner. You don't want any hay poking the wound so you might prefer to put the hay in bowl somewhere else. Stock up on her favourite foods, they often don't fancy eating when they come home. Fresh herbs like parsley always seem to do well and make sure the vets give you painkillers to take home and give her for a couple of days afterwards.

Yes, Bobby is neutered.

Thanks for the replies - we can keep them side by side if need be, so we'll watch them and adjust the set-up as necessary. I think she'd be best if they were together, so we'll aim for that, but be prepared to divide them with some mesh.

Back