• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mature Bunny Care?

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Hi guys!

Noisette is coming up to 6 years old now :shock: Can't believe I've had her that long! Considering she's a giant bun she's doing amazingly well for her age, not even showing a single sign of slowing down. Her motility is still really strong by the looks of it, comes running and bounding up to me when I call her and has her little mad binkies and runs through the garden. As an old giant bun and considering of their small life span I just can't stress how well she's doing.

However, I'm aware she's ageing now I just wanted to know what glucosamine supplements I could give her if there is any out there suitable for bunnies? And is there anything else people supplement their old bunnies with? :wave:

Hi Janak - you might find this thread useful http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?277209-Cosequin-alternative&highlight=cosequin. I give my oldies Metacam on a daily basis for their arthritic joints (they're 9) and I've also covered the floor of their entire shed and run with vetbed as Parsnip can get sore hocks. I also make sure everything is at ground level (no ramps etc) although they do still jump up a set of steps into a raised sleeping area simply because they can and they want to. They have the option of sleeping areas at ground level too :D.

Mr Fluff is 14 and a half so this has evolved (slowly) over time!!

He also has metacam for arthritis, the dose has increased as his arthritis becomes more severe. There are side effects for long term use, so this is treatment rather than prevention and you need to talk your vet if you're concerned about arthritis (its prescription anyway)

He has glucosamine supplements, cosequin cat, alternate days (one a day for the first month)

I also put a lot more effort into keeping him clean, and find that he struggles in times of mault, so I get him clipped then.

He also has porridge and seeds sprinkled on his pellets to keep his weight up.

He's high maintenance but worth it :) xx

Back