• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For those that take in bunsters...Rescue advice please

Geoff's people

Alpha Buck
Not including the ones on here that I have offered to help, I am currently talking to several lots of owners who can no longer keep their rabbits.
I always ask for the accommodation regardless of its condition or suitability. I Figure if they no longer have the rabbit, they no longer need the hutch:lol: Removes the temptation to fill it up with another bun:roll:
I will also be asking for any toys/bowls/food etc.
Space here isn't an issue, and with my goats etc days out and holidays are a figment of my imagination anyway:lol:
My vet is fabulous and lives a 10 min walk up the road in case of emergencies.
Do you all request a cash 'donation' on rehoming the buns, even if you aren't a rescue?
I have no real desire to keep any more buns (other than the foxed boys that may be coming here:love:) and I figure if I rehome then I can help more rabbits. Space is no issue as I have 1+ acres and fox proofing;)
Feeding a natural diet keeps those costs down, and hay is free cos I make it. The costs are going to be, neutering, vaccinating and vet fees.
I don't think I would be out of line asking for a donation would I?
Also as soon as I am a forum supporter, I shall be selling rabbit goodies/jewellery etc to go into the neuter pot:thumb:

Any thoughts?

I have my landlord and husbands full support and only work part time. I feel I am finally in a place where I can help:D:D

:shock::shock:
Thats gonna take me an hour or two to get through:lol::thumb: Thankies

I wasn't sure if I was 'allowed' to ask as I'm not a charity:?

best of luck with your new project :) it is vergy good of you.

i think it is a good idea if people can and want to donate money to you to accept it - gosh i wish id have thought of it all those years ago! i have never taken a penny. :)

i also think it is a good idea to gently talk through any problem issues as they may be quite easily solveable you know
sometimes the obvious solutions just arent thought about.

carol

Why not register as a charity?

I don't know much about it - but I believe it is fairly easy to do?

If all goes well then that would be an option for the future for sure, but tiny baby steps for now:lol:
I doubt I could register without the 'rescue' being established, at the moment I have some spare housing and a couple of maybe buns:lol:
Thankies x

baby steps is a good idea - it builds a solid foundation.

where are you located geoffs people? down south? did i read devon?

an acre is lovely - bunny heaven

carol x

Hi

I started off just taking in the odd bunny or two and now have a full blown rescue on my hands in just a couple of years. No reason why you can't behave like a rescue, even if you don't feel like calling yourself one.

I always ask for a donation when taking in. No harm in asking.

If you would like any info on how I started out - forms etc then whizz me an e-mail and I'll send you some stuff over. therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

I'm just one person with a back garden but with the aim to make a difference. You can too if you start out the way you mean to carry on.

If you are helping people out and making sure that you rehome correctly, you will find that people will enjoy helping you out with donations of 'stuff' and funds. But you will have to prove yourself.

I am not a registered charity - you don't need to be to do a good job.

Helen

Gosh:shock::shock::shock:
One of the buns I have been in contact about has escaped from her run!
I hope they can keep her safe til tomorrow!
Stay safe lil girlie, I'll be there tomorrow xxx:love::love:

Back