• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do your indoor buns' make your house smell?

clara

New Kit
Mine did! I had to have them both inside for a couple of months at one point, and whenever someone came into our house they would comment on it smelling like a farm :lol: . Their litter boxes were changed twice a day....but I dont know. Maybe it was because they were in a wooden hutch and they may have peed on the wood or something :lol:. Do you think you're just immune to it now? I had mine in my bedroom for a few days as well and it smelt so bad for about a week afterwards. I can't explain it..it was like a farm when it rains :lol: And it's not the rabbits themselves that smell...they don't really smell like anything :lol:

Not really, except for hay and the cat litter when it's fresh. Well unless the little gits have been peeing in strange places again :evil::evil::evil:

Though I like farms... so maybe I just don't notice! :lol::lol::lol:

I often have sick, ill or boarding rabbits indoors and always find it amazing that they don't smell. I have an honest mum who comes to visit and doesn't approve of rabbits in the house but even she admits there is no pong. I think it was most likely the wood which had be marked and then smelling.

No smell here from my 4, I clean the litter tray every 4 to 5 days. It has Megazorb in which is really good at sucking up moisture and trapping smells

Not at all. I have four indoors, two in my bedroom and the only smell is from the hay. They get cleaned out every other day and I use newspaper and hay, nothing else.

Are your bunnies uneutered? Unneutered bunnies can really stink sometimes.

To be honest I would be very worried if there was a 'wet farmyard smell' as that can be indicative of a health problem with the Rabbits :?

I have 2 inside and i can sometimes smell the boys wee every so often but he isn't neutered yet so hoping he will stop smelling so much once he's had the snip! It's mainly when i've done a big clean up of their cages, he's abit precious about his things being touched :roll: so then goes round after me tearing all the paper back up and scooping the hay to one side :evil:

No smell here either.

The kids make more of a smell than my Rolo. :roll:

Hes fully free range too. He lives in the dining room at night or if we go out during the day, and uses his litter tray. although, he does have a fondness for weeing in the bathroom! But vet thinks its cos he can smell all the other wee smells and he thinks that is the toilet! Which, is right...it is! Thank goodnes for lino!

But no, house smells like a normal house.

Rach

The only smell is from fresh hay (which is a smell I love). If I stick my nose right in the litter tray when its well used then there is a whiffy pee smell but not wafting through the house or anything! Even my dad and stepmum (who think Chloe would be better in a stew :evil:) haven't said anything when theyve visited and believe me they would mention it if there was.....every 5 mins!

Its probably as you had a wooden hutch and some pee had soaked in

Nope, no smell here either. When I put fresh hay out I can smell that for a short while and if I'm right near his cage I can smell when he's had a wee for a minute or so afterwards but nothing else. :)

OH said last night "you know how babies smell ofJohnsons stuff?"...... "Our room smells of baby bunny now" not entirely sure what he was on about I could just smellhay but according to him baby bunnies smell different :?

The litter tray smells if I dont clean it out, but other than that, no. My bedroom smells like hay, but thats a nice smell.

My boy Barney used to smell when he was unneutered, he smelled of male bunny sex hormones which smells like weed, and I also find shavings really stink - but other than that, no.

I don't think so, although I'm used to hay smell. When I take him to my parents I sometimes notice it smells a little "bunny" first thing but that's usually because the door to the room he stays in is closed overnight but I clean his tray and it's fine. I don't notice it here. I think it's mostly just hay smell.

When I had unneutered males living in my room it stunk to high heaven because all were scenting everywhere. Now all are neutered, we only get a smell if one is ill. Mostly we smell of hay.

no it just smells of hay here. and rabbits and piggies, that smell they have. it's not a horrible smell. alot of delivery men have commented to my o/h that our house smells like fresh grass though. (that's thanks to the lovely hay for pets hay by the way! ;))

my mum did say i smell of rabbit though, i don't think she meant it to be a compliment but i took it as one anyway because they smell lovely. :lol:

hi, ive found that its smelly for a while after he has done a wee then ok, i change litter tray twice a day and hope that my house doesnt smell and im just used to it, but i adore the scent of freshly done out cages, find it theraputic.x

well I used to keep horses and when I got the buns I remember thinking mmm it smells like home again. It is a farmy smell but I like it and don't find it unpleasant at all. My mum hates it though :lol:

Back