• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Morris the garden centre refugee

ChloeBunny

Warren Scout
As requested here are a few pics of new bun Morris :) Chloe isnt too pleased that shes had to donate one of her bedrooms to the new guy but I'm sure she'll get over it :lol:

They're not brilliant pics as hes still settling in. Got him on shavings for now as that's what he had at the shop and didnt want to put him through too much change too quickly :)
The sticker on his cage at the shop said mini lop. He is dinky but they said he was about 8 weeks it's hard from pics but would you agree with that?

Morris Hewwo RU I'm new and a bit scared but its much nicer here than that other noisy horrible place.

DSCF0241.jpg

I like dis funny wood thing so I is making it mine

DSCF0244.jpg

I think Morris is a really brave little bunny as he came up and said hello to my son too

DSCF0246.jpg

I am totally biased of course but he is soooooo gorgeous :love:

He is simply adorable! and seems like he's settling in well already! you have saved him!

I was in pets at home yesterday, the gerbils were busy in their wheels. but the rabbits just all looked so depressed!!!- one was sat alone and the sign in the cage said rabbits thrive best in company! They were doing a reduced price for buying 2! Then there was a truly massive rabbit - giant breed who didnt move in the time we were there.

What can we do though hey, until regulations come in perhaps banning garden centres and pet shops from selling pets - do others agree?

Awww he's gorgeous looks a bit like my Violet she's a mini lop

SDC10035.jpg

:shock: they do look almost like twins :shock:

Morris has a slightly flatter face than Chloe who is a dwarf lop but hes still so young its hard to tell :lol:

Not sure how OH is gonna feelwhen all you RU'ers have seen our new arrival before he even has :lol:

Hi, I read your other thread and am pretty confident from the description where you got him from. Before you posted the photos I was pretty confident it was going to be a mini lop!

I have complained to the council a few times about this place - the first time the buns were in extremely cramped cages with no hay - they sent an inspector round and I was told the buns were in perfect condition, fed and watered and being kept within regulations :(. I went there again and they had started using much larger indoor cages so space was an improvement and the 'shed' was cleaner with less birds. It depends when you go how many birds there are and how much noise but it still is rubbish how they are being kept and the lack of interest from the staff.Absolutely nothing we can do about it as they meet the standards necessary for keeping livestock (**** I know and I don't agree.)

As for the fact he is a mini lop - the reason I knew this is because there is a local breeder of minis which supply him. Its great you have given Morris a lovely home but no doubt he will be 'replaced' in a few days. The breeder has a vast amount of minis so has a constant supply unfortunatley. The garden centre buy the hay from the breeder in bales (I have seen them there) yet sell the much more expensive bagged variety to the public!

There is another garden centre not too far away in the other direction which also has appauling small accommodation for the rabbits in an hexagonal unit. When I complained the manager told me the unit was of a very high standard allowing the public to view the animals with ease and there turn around was only about 7-10 days so this fact made the size of the accommodation irrelevant! They were very pompous and offended that I had even thought they were in the wrong!

Its a sad state of affairs and providing the people who run these establishments meet the necessary trading standards (as well as have no personal morals or feelings for the animals in their care) it will continue to be a problem. The fact that along side the buns and guineas they have the most ridiculously small hutches for sale is confirmation you are banging your head against a brick wall trying to get them to acknowledge how awful they are.

If you felt you had to get Morris then you don't need to feel bad about it, at least he will have a good life. Unfortunately another one will be there in a few days with the same plight but you just can't save them all until something bigger is done to stop the idiots behind it all.

Hi Nick10

So I wont be the first person to complain. *sigh* I wish there was more we could do. Youre right there will be another bun in there soon and I cant get them all. So sad and frustrating!

All we can hope for is a change to legislation to stop these coldhearted people.

Nick10

I so agree with all of what you have said. However, wanted to add that we must not feel like we're banging our heads against a brick wall - the more RU members complain, write letters etc, the more bad publicity some of these places get - some businesses might take action (even if it's to avoid RSPCA investigations) and the message trickles down to the consumer to avoid these places and promote good welfare.

So to everyone who has brought bad conditions to RU's attention, keep up the good work- even if one bad breeder is pushed out of business, think of the bunnies that will have been saved.

Back