• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Couldn't leave poor bun at the garden centre :(

ChloeBunny

Warren Scout
Sorry this will be long but I have to get it off my chest :cry:

Went to a garden centre earlier to look for a fathers day present, my friend told me about it and he said they have birds out the back and sometimes bunnies and piggies. So me and my son went and thought we'd have a look at how they were keeping them.In one way I wish I hadn't but in another I'm so glad I did.

We found the animal "shed" we opened the door and the noise was unbelievable, there must have been well over 100 birds in cages all around the sides in really small compartments (i dont know anything about birds but there were lots of different types) they were all screeching so loudly then I saw the bunny :cry: he was in a big cage (ferplast 140 or similar) so a good size but all that was in it was shavings and a bit of straw a bowl of pellets and a water bottle. Thats it! Not even a hidey hole for bunny to hide in :(

Poor bunny was just sat there looking so miserable. He moved a little when we went up to him, I've never seen a bunny move like he did. I can only describe it as a commando crawl (on his belly) very slowly up to the water bottle and then away again! I was almost in tears and knew I couldnt leave without him but OH wasnt with us and had to see if it was ok with him too. He texted back saying its ok.

Went out to the car to calm down before going back into the shop. Said to the man behind counter that we were interested in the rabbit expecting to be asked questions etc but all he said was "I'll get you a box" :shock::shock::shock: less than 5 mins later we had him in the car!!!

No advice given, no questions asked not even if we had a hutch!!!! You'd have thought they'd have at least tried to sell us one! I asked what pellets he was on so that I could get some (they weren't the SS Chloe has) he said oh i'll get you a bag. What a complete :censored: he couldnt have cared less :cry:

I feel that I should report them to the council for the conditions poor bunny was in but definitely need to calm down first.

Morris as he is now called is upstairs in the bedroom settling down. He is moving around ok and has been nomming on the huge pileof hay he's got :D we have been planning on getting Chloe a husbun soon as her spay was about 5 weeks ago now we just hadn't planned on it being quite this soon although the wedding will have to wait until Morris has had the snip lol

I feel bad that I havent got a bun from a rescue to free up a place for another but also I wouldnt have been able to forgive myself if I had left him there. I know they will get more in and I wish I could help them all but oh i'm just rambling and crying again now :cry:

Sorry for the essay needed to vent

I went in for some rabbit food and came out with a bunny and I had him for 9 years (we lost him 5 weeks ago). I have never looked back and he made us so happy :love:

I hope that Morris makes you and Chloe very happy :love:

My other 4 buns have all been rescues so I do go down that route, but sometimes things just happen.

Thankyou bunny babe he will be very much loved and I hope he getson with Chloe when its bonding time but will cross that bridge when we come to it haha

Dont feel guilty about not going to a rescue, Morris needed a home too.........desperately by the sounds of it. Glad you were able to take him.

I hate people that just treat bunnies as a product to sell or any other animal for that matter. Its heartbreaking to see how bad bunnies are treated. Well done you!

Let us know how he's settling in:)

Don't feel bad for not getting him from a resuce. The fact you got no advice, weren't asked any questions meant that he would have been sold to anyone. Unless they were bunny savvy, like you, he may have ended up in a resuce when the new owners got bored. You just cut out the middle man.
Bet he thinks he has died and gone to heaven - he has certainly fallen on his feet!
Looking forward to seeing pics, once his majesty has settled in!

Morris has landed on his feet moving in with you.

Sometimes fate plays a role in what happens. I believe Morris was there waiting for the right kind and caring owner to come along. That's you!!!!

Please give him a gentle noserub from me.

Best of luck with the future bonding.:thumb:

Don't feel guilty! Donny and Lola are both garden centre bunnies and if I didn't have them then it was either PTS or dumped on a rescue.

Would love to see some pictures once he's settled :love:

Morris has landed on his feet moving in with you.

Sometimes fate plays a role in what happens. I believe Morris was there waiting for the right kind and caring owner to come along. That's you!!!!

Please give him a gentle noserub from me.

Best of luck with the future bonding.:thumb:

Not sure how confident I am with bonding them myself, I'll probably chicken out and ask Alice to do it for me :oops::lol:

Sounds like he really needed you! Lucky boy.

Remember he may get more bunnies to put in that cage, if the birds mess can get into the rabbit cage you can call the council as they can get told off for that as it's against health regulations or some such. But otherwise there's nothing they can do, unless he hasn't got a license to sell rabbits.

Well done you, have seen the pics and he looks adorable.
can I make a suggestion though, in addition to reporting him to the council please also complain to the shop explaining why you purchased him, what was wrong with his accomodation and stating that you intend to report them. It might stop them just putting another rabbit on display. I'd hate to think they think "oh, well that rabbit sold lets put another one out".

What a lucky bunny Morris is. :love: Thank goodness you came along and rescued him from that dreadful place.

I'm off to search for the piccies of him now. :D

Well done you, have seen the pics and he looks adorable.
can I make a suggestion though, in addition to reporting him to the council please also complain to the shop explaining why you purchased him, what was wrong with his accomodation and stating that you intend to report them. It might stop them just putting another rabbit on display. I'd hate to think they think "oh, well that rabbit sold lets put another one out".

I think thats a good idea, I didnt want to say anything at the time not only was I barely containing anger and tears and Im sure Id have just ranted like a crazy thing and wouldnt have got anywhere productive. I'm going to word an email carefully over the next few days and get it sent off.

Back