• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
My foster rabbit is moulting his fur, but it's mostly in one area (his mid/lower back), lower coat is visible, but in one area there is no fur at all!!!! The skin isn't irritated, sore or flakey, but bald! I have no idea what has caused this. Vets have now closed, and wont be open until monday, and I can not make decisions for him as he is not "my rabbit"

Any idea whats cause this?

I've tried pulling at some of the fur around it and it just comes away from the skin very easily! but hair not around that area seems to stay where it is. Any ideas?

Last edited:
My bridge bun randomly lost a patch of fur on the back of her neck. It turned out to be a bad reaction to the defleaing stuff we had used a few MONTHS before. Sounds like it could be something similar.
I wouln't be too worried, but book an appointment at the vets next week just to get it checked out, make sure it isn't anything more serious. Better safe than sorry eh!

This often happens to daisy when she moults. While she is moulting we help her by gently pulling the fur out and in some areas it comes out in big handfuls and can end up with bald patches. It has always grown back really quickly.

Laura

20120616_154542.jpg

He seems quite happy, just concerned, I've never seen anything like this before in the years that I've kept rabbits. He is a dental rabbit and refused to eat hay or grass. I can usually get him to eat "some" grass by [picking at lots of clover and he'll eat that. So his diet isn't ideal but as good as it will be getting as he hasn't touched hay/grass since I've had him for the 6+ months now :/

I hope it's nothing serious!

Looks like a heavy moult to me. He can reach the bald bit so I expect he has groomed all that fur out himself.

I'd groom him a couple of times a day just to try to minimise the amount of fur he is ingesting

Back