• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newfoundlands and Rabbit?

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I had a man doing a job in the garden yesterday and he said his wife wanted a rabbit and do I let any of mine go to new owners. I said I might if thhey were going to a good home but I woulldn't let just one go as they shoulld have company. He said his wiife was home all day as they had four Newfoundlands! my insticts led me to believe this probably wasn't the sort of home I want for my rabbits. Does anyone agree?

I had a man doing a job in the garden yesterday and he said his wife wanted a rabbit and do I let any of mine go to new owners. I said I might if thhey were going to a good home but I woulldn't let just one go as they shoulld have company. He said his wiife was home all day as they had four Newfoundlands! my insticts led me to believe this probably wasn't the sort of home I want for my rabbits. Does anyone agree?

You have to follow your instinct, for sure. So I would say follow it.

I would also say though, that what you hear from someone can be very different from what you actually see at the home visit. For example, they may have an area where the dogs can't get to and they may have a wonderful aviary or enclosure in there that would be perfect for a couple of bunnies. Equally, if the rabbits would run free with the Newfoundlands, then you want to be running in the other direction. My advice would be to do a home visit, talk to the people, and then follow your gut, which may mean all is fine, may mean there needs to be some work, or may mean it's a no no, but I don't know why you would consider rehoming your rabbits (purely because I don't know you, what you do, your rabbit situation, etc), so you might also want to point them in the direction of a rescue.

You need to find out where they would be housed? if they were going to be free range with the dogs etc? I personally have 3 dogs who do run with my frenchlops but always supervised and all have separate areas when i am not around. These dogs may not be used to bunnies where as mine have always been used to them and have been taught bunnies are friends etc.

I don't see why not...Newfies aren't bred to do anything with small furries, so they are actually one of the better breeds to live with bunnies.

Back