• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Katy is not eating u/d much better

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:( Katie is not eating Taken her to vet, she has had metaclopromide, metacam, baytril. He thinks it is bloat. Once she calmed down from the vets I gave her some tummy rubs and got her to gently run round. She is back now lying in her toilet :(

Last edited:
:( Katie is not eating Taken her to vet, she has had metaclopromide, metacam, baytril. He thinks it is bloat. Once she calmed down from the vets I gave her some tummy rubs and got her to gently run round. She is back now lying in her toilet :(

Oh no :cry:

I hope she will start to feel better very soon xx

Thank you Jane. She has not been eating as much since we lost Homey so wondering whether this could have triggerd it. We are back at the vet at 9am as he wants to see her whether she is eating or not to check on her.

She has just taken some sloppy critical care (willingly), about 15ml and then wanted to hide and started panting. She has calmed down now but is sat back in the toilet.

Last edited:
oh no Sandra! I am so sorry to hear this! Poor Katie :cry:Hope she feels better soon xx Sending her some vibes and kisses xx

Mrs Bunnykins, Leanne thank you.

Infacol - can this be given safely with the meds that she has had if need be. I mentioned simethicone to the vet and he was not keen on the idea of it.

:cry: She has not eaten, pooped or done a wee all night.

Just tried to syringe her some luke warm water but she has only taken a little bit.

:cry: She has not eaten, pooped or done a wee all night.

Just tried to syringe her some luke warm water but she has only taken a little bit.

Poor Katy :cry:

I would bring her indoors and provide her with a heat pad. She may be struggling to maintain her body temperature now.

Perhaps the Vet will admit her for intensive care including fluid therapy ?

I really hope that she will show some improvement soon. It is so horribly stressful to have a sick Bunny :cry:

I would bring her indoors and provide her with a heat pad. She may be struggling to maintain her body temperature now.

Perhaps the Vet will admit her for intensive care including fluid therapy ?

I really hope that she will show some improvement soon. It is so horribly stressful to have a sick Bunny :cry:

Thanks Jane, she is warm and we have had the heaters on in the shed all night (21 degrees). The vets are only open this morning so don't know what will happen.

What intensive care would they give her other than fluid therapy? Do I need to ask for any specific meds?

I feel sick :cry:

Admission is probably the best thing for her asap - fluid therapy to be honest is all that she needs to start with, it can have a drastic effect and until any obstruction is ruled out there isn't much else she can have other than additional pain relief such as opiate analgesic e.g. vetergesic may also be in her best interests to make her more comfortable in this acute stage.

Tons of vibes x

Admit her to the vets hun. I recently had exactly the same thing with my little Chloe. Not trying to scare you but unfortunately I was too late. She survived in the vets for two hours and had a seizure and unfortunately passed. I was devistated, but did all I could. They confirmed one of her tubes was twisted, gave her steroids, flushed her out with water (as massively dehydrated), antibiotics and gut mover.

Is she lethargic or moving about? My girl could barely walk, it happened very quickly (overnight), but I was devastated, still am as only happened Thurs.

I hope she pulls through and gets better real quick. xxx

Melly Rabit - I am so very sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking.

Sorry for not replying earlier but I have only just got in.

OK, we went to the vets for 9am and as they were only open half a day she was referred to the OOH vet which is open 24/7/365 as he felt she needed x-rays as possible blockage. I took her up there as it is about 45-50 mins away and we had to wait around for a while. The vet was excellent and has admitted her. The plan is that she is treated for statis for 2-3 hours and monitored every half hour for movement (peri something he said) as he could not hear anything. She was going on fluids etc. If things don't change it is then x-rays (conscious hopefully) to check for any blockages etc and we will then take it from there. She will defo be in overnight even if things start to move.

I have left her there with some critical care and spring cabbage and a big kiss.

The vet was interested in the fact that we lost Homer (her partner of 6 years) 5 weeks ago and that her eating habits had changed which he thinks may have brought this on.

The vet will ring me later this afternoon to give me an update. Thank you all for your kind thoughts x

Melly Rabit - I am so very sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking.

Sorry for not replying earlier but I have only just got in.

OK, we went to the vets for 9am and as they were only open half a day she was referred to the OOH vet which is open 24/7/365 as he felt she needed x-rays as possible blockage. I took her up there as it is about 45-50 mins away and we had to wait around for a while. The vet was excellent and has admitted her. The plan is that she is treated for statis for 2-3 hours and monitored every half hour for movement (peri something he said) as he could not hear anything. She was going on fluids etc. If things don't change it is then x-rays (conscious hopefully) to check for any blockages etc and we will then take it from there. She will defo be in overnight even if things start to move.

I have left her there with some critical care and spring cabbage and a big kiss.

The vet was interested in the fact that we lost Homer (her partner of 6 years) 5 weeks ago and that her eating habits had changed which he thinks may have brought this on.

The vet will ring me later this afternoon to give me an update. Thank you all for your kind thoughts x

MASSIVE VIBES HUN! xxxx

Maybe she is mourning xxx

Back