• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Downsizing rabbits home :( Gutted and building work!

clara

New Kit
So, it's been decided that we're moving...and to a place with a SMALLER garden. So my buns are having a smaller shed in a couple of months, which will be 4*6. I feel so bad because they currently have so much space, and their setup is lovely if i may say so myself. :) So I'm going to have to make it extra nice. How would you go about utilizing the space? One of my buns LOVES to climb and be up high, so I'm thinking of putting like shelves around the perimeter, around 5ft high with ramps going up, so he can be up there. I'll have mesh going around the edges, so he won't be able to fall out. So it'll be like a corridor that he can see through :love: I HATE using hay on their floor, and they really dislike it too and will never it on it So i was thinking of carpet...but my boy sometimes decides he won't use the litter box (my other bun is an an angel with the box :lol:) and I wouldn't like bunny pee on their carpet :oops:. I was also thinking of ceramic tiles to make proper cleaning and scrubbing easy (yes, i'm a neat freak :lol:), but am worried about slipping. It's going to be small, which is why i'm so gutted! But I do want to be able to go inside, and sit in there with them during winter...

They'll be having a 10 by 3 foot run attached to the shed, and will not be allowed free range time for approximately 1 year :( This is because my dad will be building an extension to this new house, both in the back garden, as well as the loft! My mum won't let them be inside (they were inside for a while, and because we didn't bunny proof properly they cost so much in damage :lol: but we've learnt!) Also, my mum can't tolerate the smell of their hay (neither can I! :lol:) so they aren't allowed to live inside, and there are no spare rooms sadly. I'm really worried about the stress this building work is going to cause. There's going to be heavy machinery, loud noise, concrete drilling etc :( What do I do? Sorry it's another rant yet again. I'm worried though. I have no one to leave them with for a year or so, and couldn't bare to be apart from them, I love them too much :(

The space you are downsizing them to seems fine to me! As for no free range for a year, as long as you give them plenty things to do in their run! :D

As for the building noise, I wouldn't worry too much. Our new home is currently on a building site so there is constant drilling and loud noises during the day! Our rabbits were a bit worried at first but are so used to it now. :D

Get a washable rug instead of carpet! Tesco do them and I am sure other places. They aren't stunningly design conscious but it means you can easily clean up after a stubborn bun! :D

For the flooring you could use non-slip lino, a lot of people on here use it in their outdoor and indoor set ups :)

For the flooring you could use non-slip lino, a lot of people on here use it in their outdoor and indoor set ups :)

This ^^

Homebase do a set of lino tiles that you just stick into place (they come with self adhesive backs) which I always think must be easier to put into shelves ect then cutting one big piece to size. You'd have to get the slightly more expensive textured designs and I would still recommend putting some washable rugs or mats in there for grip! I use these http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=191944 They come in different colours and I have washed them by hand to great affect, but have not been brave enough to put them in the washing machine though I'm sure they'd be fine!

You can also get large carpet mats in Poundland, my local one has them in (although it is a very large one so not sure all stores will!)

Back