• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poorly barney mini lop

dori3456

New Kit
I have a one year old mini lop called barney. Last week when i let him out for a run around i noticed his back left leg seemed to be dragging the floor slightly. I took him to the vets and they gave me Lapizole and Loxicom. The vet said it could be a parasite!. I have given him his 5 days of Loxicom and he is on day 3 of Lapizole. Barney is eating and drinking but looks just pitiful when he is out of his cage. He doesnt seem to let this stop him moving around but it must be uncomfortable for him. Has anyone else had this problem with their rabbits?

it sounds like several different possibilities. id suggest you find a rabbit savvy vet (ask on here someone in you area will suggest one) x

I have a one year old mini lop called barney. Last week when i let him out for a run around i noticed his back left leg seemed to be dragging the floor slightly. I took him to the vets and they gave me Lapizole and Loxicom. The vet said it could be a parasite!. I have given him his 5 days of Loxicom and he is on day 3 of Lapizole. Barney is eating and drinking but looks just pitiful when he is out of his cage. He doesnt seem to let this stop him moving around but it must be uncomfortable for him. Has anyone else had this problem with their rabbits?

Hello and welcome to RU.:wave::wave::wave:

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear little Barney.

Perhaps put this thread on either the health section and or rabbit chat. You'll definitely get more advice.There are more details about EC in the health section.

It sounds as if Barney may have EC which can be a killer to rabbits. But there again it could be something else not quite so sinister. It sounds as if you are doing everything right for him. If he is eating and drinking that is really good. Hopefully he is weeing and pooing too. Patience is what is needed. All being well he will make a full recovery, but just be aware that his leg may not get back to being 100%.

Fingers crossed that he continues to make good progress and hopefully a full recovery.

Best of luck. x

Back