• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To move or not to move?

FBSFB

New Kit
So its been 15 days since accidental litter (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?343368-A-few-accidental-litter-questions.) and now have a few more questions.I took the advice and just covered the hutch up and left them were they were. So far mummy bunny has been very good and the babies are looking healthy (and amazingly cute). But they have now started hopping about a bit. I read in the guide:

~Days 14-21 - The babies might start to leave the nest. Once the eyes are open you are likely to see the babies start to be more adventurous (with or without mum’s blessing). They may start to leave the nest. They may start to share mum’s food. This is completely fine and ok. If it is fresh food then they seem to get an immunity for it through mum’s milk.

Which has got me a little worried about there current position. They are in the top section of the run, and i am worried that on one of there little adventures they might fall down the ladder hole.

I was thinking of moving everyone back inside, as we have cleared a space for the pigs to run around in in a different room. Mummy bunny is still using her litter box as we moved it outside with her, I have also made a potential nest box. This has been in the outside space with her so she gets use to it and it starts to smell more like her then plastic.

My plan was to take as much nest from the hutch and place it in the new nest box that will be inside in a corner and covered up so it still feels warren like. How ever I don't know if this is a good idea. It'll stop the risk of the babies getting into trouble, but not sure if mum might forget about them with the nest being moved. It will be place next to her litter box (which will go back into her favourite spot in the room).

Any advice welcome.

If it's not possible to prevent the bunnies having access to the ramp, then it sounds like this is the next best option. She won't forget about the babies or nest, but she might be confused as to where they are, so do ensure that you take absolutely as much of the nest as is possible (but it sounds like that's your plan anyway).

It would be better if you didn't move the babies at this stage. Can you not put a piece of wood across the gap or put somethinng soft at the bottom?

I go with Sky O on this - the little ones will soon need quite a bit of room if they are to develop strong bodies . .

It would be better if you didn't move the babies at this stage. Can you not put a piece of wood across the gap or put somethinng soft at the bottom?

The top compartment was only small and if blocked mum would be stuck up there, and she is still a young bunny herself so has a lot of energy.

I took sky-o's advice and have just transported them inside. Was a good thing too, as I lifted the cover to check on them one of the babies was peering over the edge of the hole. I got a bit concerned by my nest i had made. So it just got a bit of an upgrade and is now a very impressive warren :D I managed to take most of the best apart from the bottom layer as this was pretty solid now so would of been changed anyway. Mummy bunny seems ok with the move. She has been eating and hopping about. She had a quick look in the nest then just carried on cleaning herself and eating.

Will be leaving her alone with them for a bit so she can get more comfortable. Even though she is already trying to get in the front room from the kitchen :D

Good job! Well done :) It's just a case now of checking they are being fed still, but all should be fine :)

Back