• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Truffle's leg :(

esupi

Warren Veteran
Just got up and Truffle is not putting any weight on her right back leg. She's sort of hopping around, and leaning her whole body over to compensate. :cry:

OH is taking her to the vets shortly. Last night as she was going upstairs OH startled her and she slipped, but she was fine afterwards, binkying and running around as usual. All I can think is that she hurt herself though and hid it well.

She is bright in herself and eating/weeing/pooing as normal. Fingers crossed :(

Lots of vibes for Truffle. It is possible she hurt herself and hid it, but binkying afterwards seems a bit extreme, even for a prey animal :shock: Could she have damaged it during the night?

Thanks Coineanach.
Yes it's always possible she could have damaged it in the night - they live on the middle landing (so 2 flights of stairs to go at) and have a 3-storey house, so they could always managed to fall off something if they tried I guess!

The vet said there's no sign of a break or fracture, and that the likelihood is there was soft tissue damage from the fall yesterday and it's stiffened up overnight. I'm sort of imagining it like bunny whiplash if that's the case.

She's been given a shot of Metacam, and we're just to keep an eye on her now and take her back if it gets worse/no better. She's back home now and apprently tucking into her breakfast with gusto.

Poor soul. I don't know about your lot, but my Oidhche used to jump about like a mountain goat - she was great, but every now and again she would misjudge something and fall a bit short! It was either :lol: or :( depending what she landed on.

Hope Truffle feels better soon. Soft tissue damage can be a right pain in the posterior as it takes so long to heal, but sounds like she's getting on alright with her breakfast! Glad the metacam is helping and that she is doing okay. :D

Back