• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to combined vaccine?

helens

Warren Scout
Hi
My rabbits were vaccinated with the new combined vaccine eleven days ago. In the days immediately after the vaccines were given I noticed that one rabbit developed small bald spot just above one eye - not on the eyelid, on the skull above the eye. This has now developed into a scab but logs red underneath. Could this be a reaction to the vaccine or something else? He is tine in himself, eating and behaving normally. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Don't think this is a Reaction to the Vaccine, normally reactions happen(if any) around the injection site, its probably just a Coincidence that he Hurt his poor little Noggin a few hours later, Hope he heals up Quickly :) xx

You could report it to your vet, they'll pass it on to the manufacturer just in case and they'll track if it happens to multiple bunnies :)

I've seen a couple of other posts with similar symptoms. Definitely tell your vet. I think perhaps because this vaccine uses the real myxi virus it makes sense that some rabbits would show realistic symptoms, like when a person has the flu vaccine?

I wonder who else has had the combined vaccine here? Im yet the vaccinate mine but still unsure about the combined. Plus I can still get separate shots cheaper nr me than cost of combined.

I had all five of mine vaccinated over the last twelve days - two have shown some reaction to the vaccine. 1 has a bald patch which has now developed a scab over one eye and the other has had a sore eye. I am sure these are reactions to the vaccine as they were both perfectly healthy before they had it. Going to speak to my vet this afternoon because although they are eating fine and behaving normally I am worried. Touch wood, the other three have shown no symptoms yet.

I'm in touch with the Rabbit Awareness Week group and they produced an article on this and I have already asked them about possible side effects i.e. are they similar to cylap, for example. I have now added the scabby/sore eye and am awaiting an answer in due course (they said they'd contact the manufacturer and get back to me).

i posted about possible reactions about mabel to the rwaf they said to nform my vets, and they can then inform the manufacturers on the reactions found, if other people also do the same, then they will be able to see what side effects some rabbits may be having and try and improve on the vaccine

Rolo had the combined jab about a month ago.

He was abit quiet for a day or two, but other than that, he was fine. Although, it was a big day for him (fur groomed, nails clipped and then dragged to the vets!)

So prob quiet cos he was angry :shock:

Rach

I'm a bit wary at the moment as mine had a reaction to the cylap last year; Coco favoured one of her front legs a little but was okay really but Thumper couldn't use one of her front legs at all for about 3 days - the same night of the jab she couldn't get up the ladder so didn't have anything to eat all night (and I didn't know :()

So if they're using cylap in it I won't allow mine to have it.

i am sorry i cant get the link direct for you but i have recently come across some valuable information.

if you google a vet called

christopher day avmc

he runs the alternative veterinary medical practice

get to the main menu page
has a green strip across the screen.

and click on saars (or sarrs cant remember which)

there is some very practical advice on that page with what to do about a possible reaction - it only has to be suspected because say of co-incidence.

regardless of any opinions on alternative medicines i do think it vitally important for a body to start collecting data on adverse drug reactions.

recently someones dog died from anti-biotics given for a sore toe (given not by their usual vet)

they used saars with full approval from their usual vet.

hope that useful
carol

Back