• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Probiotics in combination with antibiotics (Septrin)

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
(should maybe be in Health, but I need fast replies so...sorry)

Can they be given at the same time? Or do you need to wait in between for the abx to take effect? Does it lose any effect if probiotics is given at the same time? Not mixed together necessarily.

I usually give them a few hours apart, but we're going on holiday tomorrow for a week & I'm just investigating how to make things easier for my bunny sitter so she can continue giving him his meds :)

Can be given at the same time. Would probably wait a few mins apart.

Antibiotics are fighting off the bad bacteria but inadvertantly kill the good too. Probiotics help build up the good bacteria.

Thanks! And yes that's what I'm concerned about as it can obviously cause some serious problems :(

What I did when using Fibreplex was hide them both in a piece of banana (as syringe feeding stressed the Mr out so much, and he wouldn't touch the stuff if he could avoid it). I carved two little pits in it, one of which I filled with Septrin and in the other, I put the Fibreplex. This appeared to work well. I'm using a probiotics powder now though which I was given by my vet, so I'm not sure if that would work the same way or not. I'd think there's a bigger chance that it'll accidentally get mixed in with the Septrin as it's a powder and not a paste.

I used probiotics and septrin together. Well, it was a dissolvable probiotic that I put in their water, bio lapis maybe?

Yeah, just put the poweder in his water. I don't like those tho as I am never sure that they are gettig the whole amount.

Yeah, just put the poweder in his water. I don't like those tho as I am never sure that they are gettig the whole amount.

Yeah, and they can go mouldy after a while so best to only use in a bowl, not a bottle, so it can be cleaned.

Hm, I was going to maybe put his echinacea in the water, but i guess it could work the other way around too. I don't know what this powder is really, it isn't Bio Lapis (we don't have that brand here I don't think) but something similar I assume. I have no idea how well it dissolves in water though, but I guess I could experiment a little bit. I'm just worried that it'll make the water taste bad & make them not want to drink it =/

Back