• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Echinacea tincture in water?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Is it a good idea to put echinacea in the buns' drinking water?

I know it gets more difficult to know exactly how much they're getting etc. but will they notice it tastes different and become reluctant to drink? I don't want them to get dehydrated because I decided to try something new!

Bluebell always loved the taste and in encoraged him to drink more.

Towards the end though I found giving a few drops on his food more effective and I knew how much he was having.

Yeah, I've been giving it on leafy things (dandelions, black currant leaves etc.) and that has worked fine. I'm just looking for ways to make it easier for my bunny sitter who'll be looking after them for a week starting tomorrow.

Using two bowls would perhaps be a good idea, but it'd also contradict the purpose of doing it which is making sure he gets it. If he has another bowl to drink from as well, I won't know which one he's been using...

Hmm, this is tricky.

Do you have time to try one bowl before you go away so you can monitor if he'll drink it or not. That way if he does you can safely leave your bun sitter to do the same.

I do have time to maybe try it out and see what happens....or I'll just tell her to put in on leaves like I have been doing. It isn't that difficult. I just feel kind of bad for asking you know, in case she finds it really time-consuming and difficult? She doesn't even know Boris is ill :? My mum forgot to tell her and when I tried to phone her she didn't answer. I don't think it makes a difference because she has a whole menagerie of pets herself lol, some of which have/have had health problems. But you never know :?

I would put it on a treat. I'd be worried he may dislike (and avoid) the water otherwise but I've never given it so maybe they love it?? V has the tablets and eats them like treats :lol: I use probiotic in his water and it must taste good because I've noticed him drink a lot more on days it's in the water so now I give it him every other day :)

Mine always loved echincacea so there shouldn't be a problem with putting it in the water for a week or so, try it while you're still home and see what they make of it. I wouldn't do it like that all the time though, it's easier to get the right amount if you give it daily (in the end I used to give Santa her drugs mixed with a drop of echinacea and water and she would snatch it out of the syringe) but it should be fine if you're just trying to make it easier for a bunny sitter.

Back