• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Friend Wants Me to Take her Rabbit

Cari

Warren Veteran
My friend has a 3 month old tortoiseshell dutchie and she's moving house and can't have her anymore. She's asked me to take her or she will just leave her at her house for the next tenants :shock:

She reminds me so much of my bridge bunny Caramel and is just gorgeous. She hasn't been spayed but has had her vaccs.

I know I shouldn't take her and we're getting ready for a honeybunny, I just need you all to tell me that I cannot have her.

I'm such a sap for a sob story, this is how we ended up with our dog, cat and rats... :(

I know how you feel :( I have had to say no to some animals because I have no room.. :( Each time is just as heart breaking because who knows where they end up :( I try not to think about it too much, I just remind myself I have some lucky animals xx

It is really hard to say no but as you have said you are in preperation for a honeybunny etc ... is there anyway you could give her details of local rescues .. I know all of them are likely to be full to capacity but worth a shot.

I think I speak for a lot of us when we say we would have thousands of bunnies if we could

Hope Stephen is okay :)

Your 'friend' doesn't sound very nice is she's prepared to emotionally blackmail you like that. I hope she doesn't get any more pets after this one if she takes their welfare so lightly. Did she not know she might be moving soon when she took on this bunny?
I know what you mean as I'm a sucker for a sob story too. The danger is that some people have no shame about doing this again- are you prepared to take on all her cast-off pets once the novelty has worn off?
I hope you can help to make sure the bunny is rehomed safely and responsibly to a good forever home xx

she can't have had the bun long if it is only 3 months,,where did she get it from?
She knows this is the type of rabbit you want so offering it to you she will expect you to take it

Remember if you get a rabbit from anywhere that is not a decent rescue..you will have vacs and neutering costs and nowhere to return it if the bonding doesn't work.

Remember, by adopting from a rescue you help 2 rabbits, not just one! The one you adopt, and the other who takes his/her rescue place :D

Thank you everyone, sensible advice I needed to hear.

My friend says she's a VIP bunny from P@H, which is the only reason she has been vaccinated, and which makes it even worse. :( she's not the type of bunny I'm specifically after, I do have a soft spot for dutchies but I just want Stephen to be happy.

I've talked to her about rescues but she says she doesn't want her being 'stuck' forever, unwanted.

I want to adopt from rescue and know that it is much better, I'm just such a soft touch I think! :(

Sorry but how can this :censored: woman say on the one hand that she doesn't want her bunny to be stuck forever in a rescue whilst at the same time is making threats about abandoning her for the landlord/next tenant to deal with?!

This is a familiar scenario to us. We adopted one from a young girl who would not look after her and we just couldn't leave her living her life of misery in a tiny hutch, not knowing when she would be fed and watered. We also gave a home to another who had been abandoned by his family when they moved.

A rescue is the preferable way but it is hard to refuse an animal in dire circumstance. They all deserve our compassion.

I'm sure the rabbit will be well looked after if she puts it in a rescue. You could always think to yourself that the bunnies you are getting have already been in a rescue and maybe for some time. Hers hasn't been there yet so it's better to take one that's been in a rescue for say 3 months than one that isn't in one yet and may get adopted out quicker than the 3 months yours has previously been in. Rather two rabbits in a rescue for 3 months each than one bunny for 6 months, if that makes sense.

Sorry but how can this :censored: woman say on the one hand that she doesn't want her bunny to be stuck forever in a rescue whilst at the same time is making threats about abandoning her for the landlord/next tenant to deal with?!

Exactly what I was thinking, some people have a strange sense of logic!

EDIT: I've just had yet another friend asking if I want a rabbit, it's like the 3rd time this month! True, I am on the lookout for a husbun for Mylo, but I'm pretty set on having a (slightly) older, neutered male. So far, I've just been offered babies. It does make me worry about what kind of homes they will go to, more than likely to parents who buy them for kids who will quickly lose interest. I know I'm known as the animal lover of my friends but I couldn't possibly take them all on, as much as I'd like to!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I've told her I can't have her as I can't bond her with Stephen as she's not been neutered yet etc and asked her to consider a rescue.

I'm very sad for the little girl but just can't do it, plus I've promised Stephen a hunbun! :)

How awful for someone to say this to you :censored: :cry: I wouldn't consider this person a 'friend'. A very selfish, thoughtless individual for sure. A nasty piece of work even but certainly no friend. Friends don't try to blackmail each other. To even contemplate doing such a horrible thing is awful, she's certainly not someone I'd want to be associated with :(

I can appreciate how difficult a position this must have put you in but you have to think of yourself and Stephen first. You've done the right thing in telling her you can't take her bun & suggesting that she considers contacting a rescue. If you suspect that she still may leave the rabbit behind you should contact the RSPCA/Police.

Last edited:
If you suspect that she still may leave the rabbit behind you should contact the RSPCA/Police.

From what I understand, the RSPCA won't do anything anyway, unless the animal has been living without food and water. And the Police certainly won't do anything.

Let's just hope that she puts the bun in a rescue before she moves. Sorry to hear you have been put in this situation Cari.

How does she know that the rabbit will be looked after by the next tenants and not just dumped in the wild/killed by dogs or foxes or even found in time before she starves/dehydrates to death, yet won't give her to a rescue to be fed and cleaned and looked after properly :/

I would call the RSPCA if she does abandon the rabbit though, they won't do anything until it happens.

Back