• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me determine my rabbits breed?

Pllamah

New Kit
I have a photo that I put beside a photo of a flemish giant, because i think they look strikingly similar, and my rabbit has recently doubled in size from what she was.
17fus8.png

I'm not sure about her weight or age, but she is getting pretty heavy.
Do you think I'm right about her maybe being a flemish giant or do you think she's something else?

Hi there Pllama, welcome to the forum :D:wave:

She may be a Flemish Giant, but to be honest her ears look a little wrong. Giants are also BIG bunnies, and adults weigh at least 5kg. So if you have had Din a while and she's nowhere near 5kg, she's probably not. But then lots of bunnies are crosses so even if she's not a pure FG, she may have some in there somewhere!

Do you have a picture which shows her fur in a different light by any chance? And which shows her head at a different angle?

I caught her outside like a month ago, so I have no clue of her age. but she was way smaller a month ago. Here is some more photos of her.
These first two were taken right around when I first got her.
IMG00327-20120504-1411.jpg

SDC11397.jpg

And these were taken today.
IMG00391-20120612-1523.jpg

I took this photo to show her approximate size against my torso. (i know im holding her awkwardly. it's because she squirmed because she dislikes being held)
IMG00396-20120612-1534.jpg

Well, I take back my previous comment. The second photo there gives you a much better look at her ears and head shape and she does look more giant like. I tend to think along the lines of, if the ears look as if they're too big for the rabbit, there's giant in there somewhere :lol:

The size is also a giveaway, unless you're tiny. Here's me with my 3.5kg bun as a comparison, I'm around 5'8 and 63kg. Your Din looks to be quite a bit bigger than Oidhche was.

She could be a slightly smaller breed, like a New Zealand or Florida White. If you could manage to weigh her it would give you a better idea. I'm no hotshot on giant breeds personally but I'm sure someone will nip along who is.

If she's still growing she may get even bigger - lucky you! :lol: The other breed of giant which comes in white is the Continental so they might be worth looking up, have a look at Thistle who was a heck of a bun!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. :)
I'm not too small, i'm 5'6 so Din definitely is pretty big.
I'll look into all the other breeds mentioned.

Whatever she is, she's a lovely looking gal - I love giant breeds :love: Good on you for taking her in.

I really just want to scooch in and have a snuggle! :lol:

You would need to weigh her to be sure but she looks mainly new zealand white but the ears are a little wider so prehaps shes crossed

Also the photo looks like its of a male (no dewlap) so its hard to compare them, not sure about other breeds but in new zealands (which is what I have) the males are alot chunkier in the face

I'd go along with the others, most likely a NZ White. She does however remind me a LOT of a friends bunny who is a pink-eyed white British giant.

alright, thanks guys. c:
and yeah, i'm not 100% sure that Din is a girl, but as far as i could tell it looks like a girl. But, I could be wrong.

Back