• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Thought on Fencing and Foxes . . .

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Just to sort of add to my other thread (I really SHOULD be working!!!) . . .

when considering fencing in your garden, if you have a chance to choose the fencing, dont automatically go for solid panel fencing (the most common nowadays).

Many people think 6 ft solid panel fencing will stop a fox - which it wont - but actually solid fencing has a lot of disadvantages for rabbits.

A rabbit avoids prey by having excellent long distance vision which enables it to see movement a long way away and start running . .

If you put up solid fencing a fox can smell the rabbits, has probably seen then from some other vantage point, and will sneak up behind the fencing, leap to the top of it, poise there for a second and then drop down onto your rabbit before it knows what is happenning.

The best fencing (in my experience and opinion) is a high trellis fence with good quality trellis preferably with c8-10cm holes, then covered with a good mesh. Yes thats a lot of mesh if you have a big garden - but you probably only need mesh the bottom 4ft (depending on how athletic your buns are).

Put a couple of feather boards at the base to discourage digging and sink the mesh slightly (or preferably run slabs along the base of the fence line before putting it up).

BUT make sure that buns can still see over these boards and through the fence when periscoping or even feeding at a distance from it.

If you can afford it run some prickle strips along the top of the trellis and add roses or other prickly climbers (but not dense ones as that would defeat the purpose).

The idea is the rabbit can see movement the other side of the fence and is aware of danger before it is upon them.

The fox will know the buns are there anyway by smell etc so you will not be giving them any advantages . . .

hedges, long grass, solid fencing etc all give hiding places for foxes to creep up (think lions in bush!!!).

PS this is based on rabbits free range 'lawn time' and somewhere to run to . . . but also works where you have a lawn with runs attached to hutches -the rabbit has a cahnce to run into safe haven of hutch before fox arrives at run. The rabbit does not feel 'trapped and surprised' by fox sudden arrival whilst it is in the open.

Last edited:
Having just read Grahams thread, your title on fencing and foxes made me see foxes on 2 legs wearing white trousers and masks with epees in their paws...Shoot me now...Its been a really **** day.......

I can agree with this idea. Our fencing is the type where it's wood placed vertically with 1inch gaps in between. N&T certainly see and watch people/dogs walking past the fence.

Back