• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox got in :-(

Hello, could anyone help me - a fox got in our garden this morning. I had 2 bonded males, 3 yrs inseparable. One died of shock this morning after fox got in (there's not a mark on him) The other is limping and basically in shock. I took him straight to vets who checked and said there were no broken bones and he is just bruised . I have returned him to his hutch alone, but I have heard they are supposed to grieve for their pair by putting body in hutch - is this true? And is it sensible when he is so freaked out? He is sitting in a corner not moving much but nibbling hay, broccoli and the odd pellet. He drank water when he held it up to him. He had a pain killing injection at the vets so I guess he is a bit sleepy too. I need to know what to do really quick as I really have to bury Basil before my son gets home from school - there are going to be many tears :(

I'm so sorry to hear that, what an awful thing to happen :( Could you possibly move them inside? Once a fox knows they're there, it's likely to come back :( Letting a rabbit see it's dead partner can help them understand but I don't know if it's best in this situation personally, hopefully someone will come along soon who'll be able to tell you!

Hi, I am so so sorry, urban foxes really are a menace :cry:

I have always put the body in with the remaining rabbit, I'm not 100% sure as the last time I did this was years ago and I have since discovered that a lot of what I did back then with the best of intentions was not always right.

If I were you though I would put him in the cage, your other bunny may be shocked but he needs to understand where the other rabbit has gone. Also I think he needs to be left alone with him for a good few hours so getting the burial over before your son gets home might be tricky. I don't know how old your son is or anything but I remember my parents trying to protect me and how much I resented it, if you get the grave ready and a box so that your son doesn't actually see the body would you consider a family burial? They always helped me as a child to understand and to say goodbye.

I am so sorry for your loss, :cry:

Hi, I am so so sorry, urban foxes really are a menace :cry:

I have always put the body in with the remaining rabbit, I'm not 100% sure as the last time I did this was years ago and I have since discovered that a lot of what I did back then with the best of intentions was not always right.

If I were you though I would put him in the cage, your other bunny may be shocked but he needs to understand where the other rabbit has gone. Also I think he needs to be left alone with him for a good few hours so getting the burial over before your son gets home might be tricky. I don't know how old your son is or anything but I remember my parents trying to protect me and how much I resented it, if you get the grave ready and a box so that your son doesn't actually see the body would you consider a family burial? They always helped me as a child to understand and to say goodbye.

I am so sorry for your loss, :cry:

Thankyou,
My son is 9 and gets home around 5pm today after his Comedy Club class.. then I'm going to break his heart :(

We could bury him together - Dad's working away for a few weeks couldn't have come at a worse time.

I just don't know what to do - the other one (Bolt) is just sitting in the bedroom ears flat, eyes shut facing the wall. He managed to get up the stairs OK I have just been sitting outside talking to him and stroking him.

How awful for you. I do think the fox will come back though so i would recommend keeping Bolt inside with you. have you got an indoor cage or something or can you get one quickly. Also as he has lost his friend maybe being indoors with you will offer him some comfort for a while and if the fox keeps coming back for a while it may realise there is nothing there now and not come back after a while. Poor Bolt I hope he recovers and I hope your son is ok...My daughter has always seen any pets even if they are dead I think its better to be honest and let them see and she even makes their coffins out of cardboard boxes and writes things on them. i think this helps her a bit. Anyway sending hugs...

So sorry to hear your news! =(
I lost my rabbit the other week to cat trying to get her through the mesh of the run, she went into shock and died! :'( .. but ever since, this cat will keep coming back!! i left the girls shed door open for 2 seconds as i went into the she next door to get nail clippers and it let itself into the shed!!!!
Like cats id say that once they know that they're there they will more than likely return! .. i have had to leave a huge fence panel blocking of my outdoor buns hutches encase it tries to get to them.

the fox will be back - if not tonight then tomorow night - or the next

Whilst you are making the hutch and run completely and utterly fox proof and also making it so that the fox cannot see the rabbits (or vice versa) or actually touch the hutch - I very strongly recommend that you get a dog crate or some other large (and high - so do not bother with indoor so called rabbit cages) 'cage' and take the bun indoors.

That way you can keep a much closer eye on his health, and also ensure he is eating etc - and ensure he is not next on the foxes list.

Re him seeing his dead friend - I suspect that he saw the death itself and perhps was next to his dead friend for a while and so will 'understand' what has happened.

i suspect he is in severe shock.

You may want to ask the vet about valium which can be used (orally as liquid in small doses) for rabbits.

I agree with everyone else about bringing him inside.
Did the fox break into the run/hutch or were they free ranging at the time?
Keeping him inside will also help his loneliness as he will feel quite lost and alone.

I'm so sorry you lost your bunny :( I have had a dog get into my guinea pig run when I was younger and my piggie died of shock. It is really horrible.

Thanks,

The Hutch is actually in an inaccessible part of the garden (unless you come out of the back door) as the back part is surrounded by garages & houses (not flat roof) The rabbits were out in the front garden at the time. Bolt did see his friend's death, as I did - the fox sort of half-climbed up a tree to scramble out of garden - it's a 6 foot fence and even higher from the pavement outside. Basil initially looked fine but then just collapsed in shock with us both watching helpless. I honestly thought Bolt would die too but he's eating a bit more now, fingers crossed he is going to be OK.

I have an indoor cage I use for winter so the poor little guy can stay in that.

Thanks,

The Hutch is actually in an inaccessible part of the garden (unless you come out of the back door) as the back part is surrounded by garages & houses (not flat roof) The rabbits were out in the front garden at the time. Bolt did see his friend's death, as I did - the fox sort of half-climbed up a tree to scramble out of garden - it's a 6 foot fence and even higher from the pavement outside. Basil initially looked fine but then just collapsed in shock with us both watching helpless. I honestly thought Bolt would die too but he's eating a bit more now, fingers crossed he is going to be OK.

I have an indoor cage I use for winter so the poor little guy can stay in that.

I would still put extra security in place - the fox round here gets into gardens by climbing up next doors conservatory roof (pointy one of glass), leaping across a large gap, and tightrope walking along the top of 6 ft fences and then springing onto the office roof (10 ft up and not flat but like a normal house roof) and then leaping down from there into a gap about 9 inches across - once they know food is there nothing except padlocks, concrete slabs, extra strong mesh and (in may case) electrified bungee wire and sonic fox alerts . . will stop them.

If a cat or squirrel can get in or out then the fox will (though even I have to admit they dont climb trees often - just scramble).

They will make an extra special effort now - especially as they will assume they are returning for a rabbit they have already killed. They kill and cache meals - so will be coming back for the 'cache' as normal behaviour.

I have been through the same thing!

I am so sorry for your loss.

We lost our Luna when she was free roaming with Finsbury. This is what we did to get him through it:

- We didnt have the body as she was alive on the way to the vet but died there and went for cremation
- We brought Finsbury inside with his hutch and gave him a lot of attention but also some space when needed
- He was wobbling all over the place and couldn't hop straight but this went after a couple/few days
- We checked him through the night on the first night it happened just to make sure he was ok
- I started to wee (yes wee) in a bottle and spread it round the garden border and the hutch. A male meat eater's urine is a deterrant for predatory animals. I wish I knew this before. We haven't see it again let alone any cats.
- We got him a mate again ASAP (we tried with 1 bunny after a week then 3 weeks later another and he bonded), even though his bond is not as strong yet he is grateful of his new friend.
- We got a new hutch with an upstairs and downstairs so he can sit up there and look out.

Thats all so far and we haven't seen the fox again. We won't let them run free any more unfortuantely as they loved that but the :censored: fox can't be trusted even though we haven't seen it.

Short term, look after your bunny and give him a lot of attention and everything he wants/likes to eat without exception to keep his gut moving.

Let me know if you have any questions and sorry for your loss agai:cry:n

I am so sorry for your loss.

We lost our Luna when she was free roaming with Finsbury. This is what we did to get him through it:

- We didnt have the body as she was alive on the way to the vet but died there and went for cremation
- We brought Finsbury inside with his hutch and gave him a lot of attention but also some space when needed
- He was wobbling all over the place and couldn't hop straight but this went after a couple/few days
- We checked him through the night on the first night it happened just to make sure he was ok
- I started to wee (yes wee) in a bottle and spread it round the garden border and the hutch. A male meat eater's urine is a deterrant for predatory animals. I wish I knew this before. We haven't see it again let alone any cats.
- We got him a mate again ASAP (we tried with 1 bunny after a week then 3 weeks later another and he bonded), even though his bond is not as strong yet he is grateful of his new friend.
- We got a new hutch with an upstairs and downstairs so he can sit up there and look out.

Thats all so far and we haven't seen the fox again. We won't let them run free any more unfortuantely as they loved that but the :censored: fox can't be trusted even though we haven't seen it.

Short term, look after your bunny and give him a lot of attention and everything he wants/likes to eat without exception to keep his gut moving.

Let me know if you have any questions and sorry for your loss agai:cry:n

Thankyou very much for this. I will keep him and get my son to give him lots of cuddles. He's still not come out of the upstairs bedroom yet (the bunny not my son!)- food is downstairs but I have put broccoli which is his favourite and some pellets in with his hay.

Thankyou very much for this. I will keep him and get my son to give him lots of cuddles. He's still not come out of the upstairs bedroom yet (the bunny not my son!)- food is downstairs but I have put broccoli which is his favourite and some pellets in with his hay.

Yeah that sounds familiar, Finsbury (once he finally got off the sofa and got a little confidence back) sat in the upstairs bedroom for about a week and a bit just grieving and being miserable.

Hope it all goes ok!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a terrible thing to happen.

Poor Bolt. He will be in shock. If he stops eating/drinking he may ned to be admitted for intravenous fluids and syringe feeding as he may not want to eat or drink for a while. It would obviously be more stress for him though so make sure he has all his favourite treats close by and a bowl of water so he doesn't have to move too far (he will be feeling bruised and scared).

Did he have antibiotics? You will need to keep a really close eye out for infection/abscesses as foxes carry some nasty bugs in their mouths.
He would benefit from a new companion once he is feeling better, obviously assuming the accomodation and exercise area can be made completely foxproof.

Hugs for you and your son

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a terrible thing to happen.

Poor Bolt. He will be in shock. If he stops eating/drinking he may ned to be admitted for intravenous fluids and syringe feeding as he may not want to eat or drink for a while. It would obviously be more stress for him though so make sure he has all his favourite treats close by and a bowl of water so he doesn't have to move too far (he will be feeling bruised and scared).

Did he have antibiotics? You will need to keep a really close eye out for infection/abscesses as foxes carry some nasty bugs in their mouths.
He would benefit from a new companion once he is feeling better, obviously assuming the accomodation and exercise area can be made completely foxproof.

Hugs for you and your son

No he didn't appear to get bitten - neither of them did, it was a small cub and was just mostly chasing them whilst shrieking. I don't think it really knew what to do with them.

Last edited:
Back