• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worming before boarding

clarebasham2208

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

Bobak and Dusty went to the vet this morning for a general check up and their vaccinations (Bobak gets tooth spurs which were checked and all OK :thumb:). I mentioned to our vet that they've going into boarding at the end of the month and he said I need to worm them so gave me Panacur for the next 9 days. I've never wormed or boarding my buns before and didn't realise this was needed :oops: Does everyone else worm their buns before boarding?

Nope, B&G have never been wormed prior to going into boarding.

I won't introduce meds into my rabbits unless it is explicity required due to illness and symptoms.

No, I wouldn't say it was necessary. My rabbits get a long course of wormer when they arrive here and then are only given another course if there is a medical need for it. This was also the recommendation given tomy vet by the rep who works for the Panacur company.

Thank you for the replies. The vet gave them both their first day of Panacur this morning. Do you think I should stop giving it to them or do I need to give them all 9 days now?

My vet has always been so good and got Bobak through an awful stasis event last year, always trusted him and now I feel really let down :(

The thing with Panacur is that so many vets have differing opinions because knowledge of EC is so small, so it might just be that your vet has different info/beliefs from other people's vets. This is a tricky area, so it would be best to discuss with the vet his/her reasons for suggesting this.

if you are going to worm thn I'd say better to do it whme you've collected them from boarding place. Makes more sense to make sure they haven't picked anything up..the wormer won't stop them picking up worms..but will get rid of them..so after would be better
however for EC control..you need to panacur them both for at keast 28 days..after boarding
have a good holiday!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will phone my vet later and ask more questions that I should have asked when I was there! :thumb:

I had a customer tell me this the other day , she was given panacur before she brought them in ! I did say to her I felt she should after her holiday , my vets Peak vets in Sheffield , said they would advise after boarding as a precaution but i guess its down to individual vets and how they treat their buns, however i do think if your buns are placed in one hutch for the duration of their stay and one run that's been hibiscrubed or virkon cleaned it should be fine and the chance of picking up EC should be lessened as a result.

I just contacted the lady who runs the boarding home (she is a qualified vet) and she said she agrees with my vet that they should be be given Panacur for 9 days before being boarded to because of EC....

I just contacted the lady who runs the boarding home (she is a qualified vet) and she said she agrees with my vet that they should be be given Panacur for 9 days before being boarded to because of EC....

9 days is the worming treatment though isn't it? I thought it required 28 days for an ACTIVE EC, and anything less would have no effect against EC? It's not a preventative though is it?

The thing with Panacur is that so many vets have differing opinions because knowledge of EC is so small, so it might just be that your vet has different info/beliefs from other people's vets. This is a tricky area, so it would be best to discuss with the vet his/her reasons for suggesting this.

:thumb:

Damn multiquote didnt let me get the next one!

if you are going to worm thn I'd say better to do it whme you've collected them from boarding place. Makes more sense to make sure they haven't picked anything up..the wormer won't stop them picking up worms..but will get rid of them..so after would be better
however for EC control..you need to panacur them both for at keast 28 days..after boarding
have a good holiday!

That would be my thought if anything :wave:

Back