• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sally the Alley Cat - U/D I Think They're Getting Rid of Her

Cari

Warren Veteran
Sally.jpg

"It's MY bed!"

tunnel.jpg

"And it's MY tunnel too, not Stephen's!"

Hello everyone, my name is Sally. Mummy found me one day in her kitchen after I had crawled through her cat flap, tired and hungry. Mummy didn't know that her cat flap even worked and was very surprised to find such a bedraggled little cat in her house but she put out some tuna for me (naughty Mummy) and sat very still on the sofa so I would come into the living room and see her.

I started coming to Mummy's house every day for cuddles when she had finished work and for lots of food as I was always hungry. Mummy found out that my owners lived over the road but that they weren't feeding me properly as my sister was stealing all my food. They would lock me out in the rain (I hate rain) and would go out for days on end without making sure we were looked after. I didn't want my sister to come to my new home and I hissed at her one day when she followed me through the cat flap.

Mummy started buying cat food for me and letting me sleep on her bed. I liked curling up on the pillow next to her when Daddy wasn't there, or squeezing between them when he was and I felt contented and happy. Stephen and I became firm friends, I liked to lie on the day sofa and sleep and Stephen would hop about on the floor, then when he was tired, he'd come and lie on the sofa bed with me. He is a funny cat and we didn't always understand each other but he was a new friend and I liked him.

The one day, the worst thing happened. My owners came and told Mummy that she couldn't feed me anymore and they wanted me back. Mummy told them that she was just looking after me as I was so little and hungry and that she didn't want them to be upset with her but they got angry and said she was stealing me so they dragged me away. I was very upset and would paw the window every time Mummy walked past the house but there was nothing Mummy could do, my old owners wouldn't even let me outside anymore in case I went back home.

Mummy had to move house because she was living in student accommodation so with a heavy heart and a little tear she shut the cat flap and went over the road with my toys, food and snuggly blanket so I would at least have all my nice things. My owners said thank you as they didn't have enough money to buy me anything and let Mummy in to say goodbye. She gave me a cuddle and a kiss, a little catnip treat and then she had to go. She still comes to see me but she isn't allowed very often as my owners are so protective of me. My life is better now though as Mummy gave them lots of advice about looking after me properly and what I liked but I miss her every day.

And I miss you too Sally-cat. :(

Last edited:
The last 2 paragraphs made me cry, that is so sad :cry: At least you improved Sally's life and her owners sound to be taking better care of her now. She's gorgeous :love:

Awww.Thats really sad:(

I thought they would at least let you have her if she wasnt truly loved...

JemimaH - She is gorgeous, and so ladylike. She was such a delicate little cat and I loved her dearly. She stayed with me for almost two years, through all of the really rough times at University and home but her owners are looking after her now and I can still see her as I live on the same road still. She follows me down the road when I see her and I pick her up and give her a cuddle but I can't take her away from her family.

BYB - I was hoping I could keep her too, I adored her but her owners loved her too I just don't think they realised that she was being neglected.

Yvette - When they came to the front door I was very hopeful that they were going to say "have her" because they couldn't cope with both but unfortunately not. I do think they love her because when I went to to give them all her things I had bought her they were very grateful for it all and thanked me, I just don't think they had noticed. It is just sad because she rarely used to go 'home' and would spend days on end with me, just going out to use the toilet (what was a very nicely dug flowerbed) and coming back in again. I appreciate it must have been hard for them thinking they were losing their cat though. I think Stephen misses her too sometimes.

You don't know she wasn't loved just because she would wonders off from home, I have 2 cats and one wonders off for days at a time, then will spent all day every day in for weeks (don't think its fair to restrict her) there is always food for her but she is skinny due to her habits of going out exploring. Whenever she goes for more than 2 days I go out 2-3 times a day to look and see if I can coax her back for at least a meal. I know shes eats down the street at an old mans house (which annoys me as he feeds them cheap cat food yet she will only eat whiskers at home). I would be heart broken if she decided to move into someone elses house and would want to know where she was and if shes being taken care of properly (not that I think she would do that as she is very protective of me and doesn't purr for anyone but me)

You don't know she wasn't loved just because she would wonders off from home, I have 2 cats and one wonders off for days at a time, then will spent all day every day in for weeks (don't think its fair to restrict her) there is always food for her but she is skinny due to her habits of going out exploring. Whenever she goes for more than 2 days I go out 2-3 times a day to look and see if I can coax her back for at least a meal. I know shes eats down the street at an old mans house (which annoys me as he feeds them cheap cat food yet she will only eat whiskers at home). I would be heart broken if she decided to move into someone elses house and would want to know where she was and if shes being taken care of properly (not that I think she would do that as she is very protective of me and doesn't purr for anyone but me)

I didn't say she wasn't loved, I think they loved her very much, but they were struggling to care for her, her sister and everything else that was going on in their home (which I don't think is fair to post). My Mum has a huge British Blue at home, called Tom and he disappears and goes to other people's houses and I know that we all love him very much, Sally just wasn't being looked after very well and I think she found somewhere she felt comfortable and happy. The owners themselves told me that she wasn't being fed properly which is how I know. I fed her good quality cat food as she was so fussy, and I looked after her well for the short time she was with me. I had no intention of stealing her away from a family who loved her, but they told me themselves that they were struggling to look after her, couldn't cope etc so I wanted to look after her. They then decided they wanted her back and as much as it saddened me to lose such a loving friend (who sat on me for hours and purred so loud people could hear her on the other side of the room) I gave her back as she wasn't mine.

Sorry but i find this a bit off.
Cari did say they love her they just couldnt afford the cat...

I have just seen a cat advertised locally, different name, but looking remarkably similar to Sally:

sallymaybe.jpg

Obviously a bit bigger to when I last saw her as it was a good few months ago I was last allowed to visit but the markings on the face are so similar.
Even if it's not her it's made me miss her so much and wish she was still with me, and if it is her, I can't believe after not wanting me to have her they are now selling her because they can't look after her.

:( :cry:

Awww thats really sad I'm sure if Sally had the choice she would live with you!

Cats make up their own minds and live where they want....I often think that they like a house to themselves without other cats so if they find somewhere where there are no cats and they get more attention/better food they will just not go back to their original home. I have had a lot of cats in my lifetime and none of them have ever moved out so I know that my cats are well cared for and loved. If a cat moves out to live with someone else then its because the owners are not providing them with what they need.

I have a bengal cat who came to live with me because the owners weren't looking after him. When I first fed him his stomach was gurgling so load it was as though he had never had a decent meal and he was sick so i knew he wasn't being fed. The woman that owned him told someone in the local pub that he cost £800 but that I can have him because her bengal breeding didnt work out. So I got him castrated and his ear sorted, its was all infected from fighting and after that he went home! Then after a few days he forgave me for having his plums off and came back...he has been with me ever since. I love the way he chose me rather then the usual of us choosing a pet.

If they are, would you take her ? Really hope its not her.

I don't think I can. It wouldn't be fair on our new Honeybunny when she arrives to expect her to get on with a cat, even though she was very good with Stephen, and I'm struggling with money as it is, never mind to then add cat insurance and cat food onto the bill, we only have a litter tray, would have to buy everything else that went with having a cat, with no money. And, now that I've moved I'm that much closer to the main road, I'd be terrified to let her out.

I'm just said if it is her and would want to make sure she went to a good home, even if it wasn't with me :cry:

I don't think I can. It wouldn't be fair on our new Honeybunny when she arrives to expect her to get on with a cat, even though she was very good with Stephen, and I'm struggling with money as it is, never mind to then add cat insurance and cat food onto the bill, we only have a litter tray, would have to buy everything else that went with having a cat, with no money. And, now that I've moved I'm that much closer to the main road, I'd be terrified to let her out.

I'm just said if it is her and would want to make sure she went to a good home, even if it wasn't with me :cry:

I know money is tight. Makes it very hard. We have insurance for 4 out of the 6 animals - 2 are too old for insurance and costs over £430 a year. *Gulp* We have made claims for nearly £2 k this year so worth it.

Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed it not Sally.

I know money is tight. Makes it very hard. We have insurance for 4 out of the 6 animals - 2 are too old for insurance and costs over £430 a year. *Gulp* We have made claims for nearly £2 k this year so worth it.

Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed it not Sally.

It's not Sally. :) but my goodness it looks like her. I miss her.

I find it very weird when people just let their cat stay at someone else's house. I'd be furious and would not allow it to happen it again. Of course, your case is different because this cat wasn't be fed or given attention, but I've seen people on here acting all nonchalant about their cat spending time with strangers :shock: Luckily my one outdoor cat doesn't let neighbors touch him.

One of my neighbors (they actually live at the end of my road in our neighborhood) has 3 cats, all of which they neglect. One stays at or near their house, she seems afraid of other cats so that's probably why she doesn't come to our house. The other two are almost never home or fed by their owner. They were very skinny before we started feeding them. We even used to see them walking down the road checking all of the neighbor's garbage cans every garbage night. We've been regularly feeding them for over a year now as well as giving them attention, water, shelter and treating their wounds.

Last year Simba had a very badly infected cut almost on his eye, it looked awful. the owners did nothing about it but luckily it eventually cleared up with us regularly cleaning with salt water. Fluffy recently had a hurt leg, the owners did nothing about it. He's now able to put weight on it and walk almost without any limp so I'm hopeful it will completely heal in time. He also seems to have a respiratory disease that flares up at times. They're such sweet cats, I don't know why their family neglect them. They shouldn't even be outdoors, they have no road sense and i'm surprised they've lived this long. They just think that cars will move around them, not run over them when they're lying right underneath the car and not move when they're lying on top of the car :( That's probably how Fluffy hurt his leg.

Back